Husband is Puppy Resistant

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickenmaven, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    The subject line pretty much sums it up. I work from home & make a nice salary. I also homeschool and keep a decent home. I have my chickens and an adult dog that is really well-mannered - very sweet.
    AND I WANT A PUPPY!!!! For me, for my DD, for my dog (who loves other dogs). Anyway, DH says "nope", like that's the end of the story. So annoying. And the whole thing becomes aweful, cuz a friend of a friend wants to give me a lab puppy.
    How do I even bring up the topic? Anyone have experience forcing a pet on the unwilling? [​IMG]

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Just bring it home and let him play with it for awhile [​IMG]

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Yup. Don't do it. The dog, DH and everyone else could be miserable for a LONG time. Hatch chicks. It'll take care of your springtime baby urge and they're a lot less trouble than a puppy. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  4. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    My grandmother had that issue once. Grampa came home and the dog was there. He said take it back! She told him it would have to wait until the next day and as he watched her and the other dog play with it all night he softened a little. She got up the next morning and told him breakfast would have to wait because she had to take the dog back. He just said "Leave the dog alone, but you are going to have to make extra pancakes now."

5. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    My sister's boyfriend keeps saying "its always easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission"....[​IMG] You gotta do what you gotta do!

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

OOOoo ,, LOOK!!!!!! [​IMG] ----------------------------->

someone left a puppy on our front step [​IMG]

7. i agree with cluckychick ! Do It , Do It hehehe [​IMG]
    Hun look what i found ! LOL

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    My DH and I took mom with us to a animal thingy and there was a lady there getting rid of puppies. She said when this is over and if the puppy is still there I'm taking it. I thought "oh my dad is gonna be mad at me, lol"

It was still there and she took it. She has a dog and dad has a dog but she wanted this one as well. On the way home we tried to think of all kinds of things to tell dad..."we found it next to the road" ideas.

We walked in the door and she said "My house too and I got a dog like it or not". He pretty much accepted it. Now the dog sits up at his feet every morning and watches him eat his breakfast [​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Touchy ground, just visit more about it, and consider everybody's postion on this. First thing is to maintain the peace at home.

AL

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I don't think I (as in ME) would bring a puppy home without talking it over first. Anytime you take a pet into your home you are making a commitment that you will care for this animal and be responsible for it for it's lifetime. I really think all the family members should be on board for that. I would definitely talk to him about it and let him know that his complete and utter dismissal of the idea wasn't very respectful and he should at least hear me out. Then I'd let him know how important it was to me and if that didn't work out I'd proceed to wear him down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by