husband sprayed weed killer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LibertyRunMom, May 29, 2010.

1. LibertyRunMom

LibertyRunMom Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    I've searched a bunch & didn't come up with anything specific, so I'm starting a new thread (hope it's OK to do)...

This afternoon, I noticed my dh spraying around the house, all out buildings, fences, etc. Our chickens often spend time in these places pecking the ground or just staying close to a building for shade, etc. Our chickens were already walking in some of these places before I realized that he'd sprayed. Dd & I quickly got them into the coop & locked them up. They will not be happy having to stay in there. Of course, it's Memorial Day weekend, so no company or gov't office is open to answer any questions. Does anyone know if it will be safe to let them out tomorrow or to eat their eggs? If not, how long do we have to keep them out of the areas sprayed & not eat their eggs?

The stuff he used is Gordon's Vegetation Killer. I can find nothing in the literature or on their website to help answer my questions (unless I'm just overlooking something). Can anyone help? Here's the site I found the product information: www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/VegetationKiller-MSDS.pdf & http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/VegetationKiller-SL.pdf

It
    was so much that all I could smell & taste for a while, even inside the house, was this stuff - I'm so ticked at dh right now, it's not funny. He says the chickens & their eggs will be fine. (he will probably make us let them out tomorrow)

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Honestly I can't begin to answer this with self control.. But I would ask him this "WHAT THE ..... IS HIS PROBLEM?"

For the chickens sake keep them inside for quite awhile. You should go to the store and buy the supplies to build a decent size run that does not go near where, %%^^ sprayed. If he complains tell him, next time to use his head for something other than to keep his ears apart. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Well, I'm not as livid as rancher hicks, but I do have to wonder what he was thinking..........................

After reading the ingredients list I would definitely keep chickens totally out of the area for a long time, take a week off from eating their eggs and might even go so far as to wash their legs and faces right now.

4. LibertyRunMom

May 8, 2009
    Thank you both.

Building a run is a tough one - $ not there & I'm at home with 5 dc, youngest 2 are 22 month & newborn (reason for not being on any forums much lately) - I'm typing w/1 hand right now.

Dd (9yr old) & I have been diligent today to keep them away from the areas & close to their coop -- lots of treats (they're already spoiled as it is, but now even more so [​IMG] ). We rinsed them off as best we could (legs mainly, some faces) - we have 20 black australorps so it was no small task (we don't know which ones specifically were in the areas, so we tried to get them all). Amazingly, they've not tried to go to the places that were sprayed - I wonder if they can sense that the area isn't safe (or that's just my wishful thinking) or I scared them so bad yesterday frantically trying to get them away from all sprayed area.

dh still thinks everything is fine - says farmers spray all the time, yada yada yada... I can't get through to him [​IMG]-- but we don't have any more of that spray here [​IMG]. He won't listen to me - maybe if all the chickens were dead this morning, then he might have - but, I'm happy that all our chicks seem fine.

I guess it is gonna be up to the older kids & me to constantly keep track of the ladies and make sure they stay far away from the sprayed areas until at least a couple of good rains. Once dh goes back to work on Tues, we can keep them in the coop.

I wrote to the company, but don't expect a response until late in the week at best.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I sympathize with your Husband situation. That's all I'll say about him.

As for the area he sprayed, I would take the hose if you can and everyday soak it down good for about a week.

Wishing you the best

Rancher

6. LibertyRunMom

May 8, 2009
    Thanks RH - I will spray as much as I can starting tuesday as soon as he leaves for work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by