Husband vs Wife - St. Pete, FL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bjhenderson30, Oct 8, 2013.

1. bjhenderson30

bjhenderson30 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    So you have me (country boy from Eastern Iowa) vs my wife (city girl from Caracas, Venezuela) in the classic chicken or not chicken domestic argument.

My argument: We'll have free eggs, a good reason to get outside more often, free bug control, free fertilizer for the garden (which she doesn't really care about), free entertainment, great experience for the kids.

Her argument: We don't live on a farm, chickens smell, we don't live on a farm, chickens are loud (coop would be below our bedroom window), we don't live on a farm, support your local economy by buys our eggs at the farmers market from the goat lady and, oh yeah, we don't live on a farm.

I know that I have an answer to all of her concerns, but I can't convince her that they are not going to smell or be loud, especially at night. It occurred to me that a local coop tour might be a good way for her to see that it's not going to live up to her fears, as well as seeing what works well and what doesn't work so well for our location as I start to plan this project.

Would anyone be willing to host a stop on a local tour thru St. Pete and other parts of Pinellas county? I do participate in the local Gaia's Guardians permaculture group so maybe we would be able to make it a group outing. Please send me a message if you are willing and able.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    mrs. city girl, yes they stink, its not free fertilize, u need a compost bin to make the fertilize because fresh chicken poop is BAD , and chicken feed, grit, oyster shell and supplys can cost a small fortune. more then you pay for eggs. with that being said, mr, country boy misses his upbringing, will keep him out of the house more and allow him to stop begging other people for what you can give him to make him happy. they will not keep you awake at night with their noise but if hubby doesnt keep it clean and its under your window the smell will. with that being said, I LOVE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS !!! i know this is not what you were looking for but some times i just cant help myself.hahahhahah

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oh, and[​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. 50 years and I still haven't convinced my city girl that it is a good idea. [​IMG] That being said, I don't tell her what to do, and she doesn't tell me what to do - I'm the man here. [​IMG]

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i hear crowing

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yep.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] maybe if you got 2-3 chicks and she could get acquainted to them while small - she would change her mind. I know in other circumstances men have often come around after they got up close to baby chicks - why not women?

You don't need a kennel to have a dog, a cattery to have a cat,. The fact that many big cities allow chickens,in restricted numbers, speaks for the fact that you don't need a farm for a few chickens.

I lived in Chicago 22 years when I was young and never knew the city allowed chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by