Husband wants to put fertilizer and grass seed down in 4,000 sg foot backyard where ducks roam.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by violets812, Apr 10, 2012.

1. violets812

violets812 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    I talked him out of weed killer at least. It's poison and I lost a puppy to weed killer many years ago. I figured that duck poop would be plenty of fertilizer, even if it is a big 4,000 sq ft yard. Does anyone have trouble loosing their yards to their ducks? I mean they have their own 200 sq ft area where they go at night. There is a 6 ft solid wood fence around everything and then my hubby put wire netting on top of the duck area for cats or whatever might like to climb in and eat. There is no grass there now. But that's their area so we expected that. Do you think we'll lose more and more grass to the ducks? What if I added 2 geese? Just wondering what people do to keep up their grass. One of my dogs is gross and eats the duck poop but doesn't seem interested in geese poop (too bad!!) LOL

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    In large yards you'll usually be fine as long as one section has time to recover while they are eating another. Geese are great weeders but can sometimes over graze a area.

3. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I would not let your ducks in the yard after it's been fertilized. Wait until all the fertilizer has been washed into the soil before you let them back on the grass. Birds are pretty susceptible to poisons. I definitely wouldn't eat their eggs for awhile either.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by