1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hutch floor renovation a success!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cshma11, Dec 13, 2016.

1. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois

I added a solid floor and pine shavings, then put the quail back in and they are so happy! Dust bathing, scratching for food, making little circular nest looking things in the shavings! I am going to add in some low walls and then I can do actual deep litter but I wanted to see how they reacted. I think it's pretty clear they like it!

1 person likes this.
  2. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Super cute they look happy ! X :)

3. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    Awesome! Great job!

4. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    It looks like the quail could not have a better home!!!!![​IMG]

5. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Awww they're having the time of their lives [​IMG]!!

I have some suggestions, first is to lay down two ply newspaper between the floor and the shavings, overlapping several inches of the paper so you can roll it up to clean it :)

Second is if you think they like wood shavings... They will flip a brick for sand bathing [​IMG]

Third is maybe as you noticed they shove a lot of shavings out of the cage. Something that would help contain the bedding could be some scrap wood/baseboards for the first few inches or plexiglass :) and also a hand vacuum [​IMG]

6. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    This is just to hold them until I've built their new hutch [​IMG] it will have 3" of deep litter and a 2" gap below the bottom of the window, so they won't be able to kick out quite as much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by