HWC and Tin on run

ChiknforME

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
I am designing my coop and run for up to 20 layers. I have about every predator threat you can imagine. I am going to bury HWC, just curious how deep I should put it. Thought about doing a run of tin around the bottom as well, at least on the backside of runaway from our house. As far as my coop goes, I want solid floor and not sure on my chicken door. HWC will be over vents, but I may put a hinged shutter so I can partially open when weather is frigid. All comments criticism and ideas appreciated!!

Lots of people can't dig down to bury HC due to extremely rocky soil and tree roots. Realistically, I'd need a excavator to dig 18". Instead we make a apron that extends up the run wall and out along the ground 24". A critter is going to attempt to dig in at the coop/run wall, and doesn't know to back up a couple feet.

Lots of people can't dig down to bury HC due to extremely rocky soil and tree roots. Realistically, I'd need a excavator to dig 18". Instead we make a apron that extends up the run wall and out along the ground 24". A critter is going to attempt to dig in at the coop/run wall, and doesn't know to back up a couple feet.
Thanks!!! I have a buddy with a ditch witch, I was going to cheat! I have a lot of tin and not so much HWC, that’s costly! So just trying to figure out best avenue.

Okay so think about this and criticize me!!! Ditch witch an 18 inch ditch, put tin in ditch and then start at top of tin with HWC. We are loaded with big flat rock. Put apron of flat rock around outer edge of run? Yes I know a lot of work but I have a 15 yr old so I have good young help! Thoughts?

Okay so think about this and criticize me!!! Ditch witch an 18 inch ditch, put tin in ditch and then start at top of tin with HWC. We are loaded with big flat rock. Put apron of flat rock around outer edge of run?
In this scenario, would the HWC be flat on surface or buried vertically/diagonally? If FLAT, don't put rocks/pavers on top, what that does is push back the border which pests will start digging at, increasing the chance that they breech the apron. You actually want pests to try to dig right at the edge of the fence where the apron starts, hit wire, back up, hit wire again, and give up.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome....so I should bury diagonal going out. Never would of thought of that.

Back
Top Bottom