1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hy-line chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happyhenz, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Happyhenz

Happyhenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    Hi all i bought some production red chooks from a local egg farm and was told they were hy-lines.
    well i googled them and this is what i found.

Prolific Producer, Rich Large Brown Eggs, Hardy Layer

Hy-Line variety Brown is the world's most balanced large brown egger. She produces over 300 rich large brown eggs to 74 weeks, peaks in the high 90s, and begins to lay early with optimum egg size. These traits combined with a frugal appetite, the best interior egg quality in the market, and excellent livability give Hy-Line Brown the perfect balance that means profits to you!

My 8 are producing 7-8 eggs a day and are so calm and quiet!

Lovely hens well they will be when their poor plucked bottoms grow feathers back :|

I just though i would share.​

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats. I've heard they're good producers.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Is that statement saying that egg laying tapers off after 74 weeks? [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they're like many sexlink hybrid birds, I hear they go gangbusters for a while and fizzle earlier than many other breeds. Not sure if that is what they're saying.

5. Happyhenz

Happyhenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    thats the whole statement.
    my girls are 18 months old and laying great guns [​IMG] very friendly chooks compared to my loopy leghorns [​IMG]

6. yovish

yovish New Egg

Jun 13, 2013
    Hello, I thought maybe you could help me. I want to know about the lifespan of the hy-line brown chicken, i can't find it on the web.
    And it says its lays for 74 weeks, its about 2 years. So my question is, what happens to the hen after that. Is it dual purpose and can we eat them? Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by