1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hybrid question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Heyitsme, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Heyitsme

Heyitsme New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Hey Guys, I have a quick question. I have a female muscovy and a male ancona duck and was wondering, if they reproduce will the offspring be able to fly? Thanks =]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. That's a good question. Depending upon how large they got they may be able to fly at a young age. Once mature I would think they would probably be too large to fly especially the males.

3. Heyitsme

Heyitsme New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Thanks! [​IMG] Thats go to know, at what age do young usually start flying, and what age do they usually stop?

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm not sure anyone can give you a definitive answer on that one. When dealing with Hybrids a lot of things will vary. I've never personally heard of a Ancona X Muscovy cross but it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

5. Heyitsme

Heyitsme New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Oh okay cool, thanks for the info!

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    It's no problem at all.If you don't mind me asking what do you plan on doing with offspring? Are they just going to be pets or are you breeding for meat birds?

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    In muscovy crosses if it is a muscovy hen and a mallard derived drake, the offspring will differ in size and the male offspring will be the size of the father but should not grow to the size of a muscovy drake.

I would say that the ducklings would have a good chance of flying as they will get some characteristics of the muscovy but will not get to the size of muscovy drakes.

On a side note, the offspring will be sterile.

8. Heyitsme

Heyitsme New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    @Kevin- I dont eat my ducks, they are strictly pets.
    @jdywntr- Good to know, i'll have to be sure to fly-proof my duck pen in the spring!

9. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Oh that's good. Sounds like everything should work out fine. I don't personally eat my ducks either but I do try to keep a open mind on here when it comes to meat birds.

10. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    The females will be able to fly very well, males not well at all! Also the girls will lay you eggs (although they cannot hatch) they are called hinnies too, the other way around (Muscovy father) and they are called Mules or Moulards. I have some Ancona cross Muscovy hinnies right now, they are very pretty ducks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by