HYBRID Show and Tell! Please upload photos of your feathered friends :)

wow those look great!!!!!!!! was the cross done with a legbar roo or a cochin roo?

The cross is done with a Cream Legbar rooster over a Silver Laced Cochin Hen( I also use Silver Laced Wyandottes for a similar sexlink cross minus the feathered legs) The result is at hatch all chicks are chipmunk patterend but male chicks have yellow/silverish tone and females have a reddish/brown tone.

5 males on the outer ring 2 females in the center
4 males to the front 2 females to the back left

male in back female in front

Last edited:
The cross is done with a Cream Legbar rooster over a Silver Laced Cochin Hen( I also use Silver Laced Wyandottes for a similar sexlink cross minus the feathered legs) The result is at hatch all chicks are chipmunk patterend but male chicks have yellow/silverish tone and females have a reddish/brown tone.

5 males on the outer ring 2 females in the center
4 males to the front 2 females to the back left

male in back female in front
oh okay, i really like the outcome of the birds. im guessing they would lay blue eggs? and did you use a specific line of silver laced cochin? or a hatchery bird

oh okay, i really like the outcome of the birds. im guessing they would lay blue eggs? and did you use a specific line of silver laced cochin? or a hatchery bird

She is not hatchery she came from a local breeder though I don't know her line. This cross should lay a green egg though Im still trying to pin point whose egg is whose from that coop. When I figure it out I will post them.

This is the SLC

Last edited:
I have to disagree with this. Read #1 for general usage

copied and pasted from wikipedia

Hybrid (biology) From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In biology and specifically, genetics, the term hybrid has several meanings, all referring to the offspring of sexual reproduction.
1.In general usage, hybrid is synonymous with heterozygous: any offspring resulting from the mating of two genetically distinct individuals
2.a genetic hybrid carries two different alleles of the same gene
3.a structural hybrid results from the fusion of gametes that have differing structure in at least one chromosome, as a result of structural abnormalities
4.a numerical hybrid results from the fusion of gametes having different haploid numbers of chromosomes
5.a permanent hybrid is a situation where only the heterozygous genotype occurs, because all homozygous combinations are lethal.
True for breeding between two species but not with chickens. However it really doesnt matter wether you call them hybrids or not because we all know what were on about.

This is one of my Swedish Flower Hen x Red Sex Link chicks. 5 weeks old.

What is the mix breed one at the top? Is it a barred rock/with the cockerel 2nd to last?
And what is the cockerel 2nd to last? I had a moggy cockerel I reared from mixed eggs from a farm and he grew up to look very similar to that.
(He now lives out his life on some of the most top quality land in England, in Norfolk on a friend's farm :) )
First bird is barred Rock/Slw mix. Made him look like a very poorly colored Dominique!
Second to last--he's a mystery. Using the chicken calculator, best I can figure is he's a black sex link rooster over a Welsummer hen. The bsl father was home hatched, and his father was a mix of buff Orpington and New Hampshire. So, he's pretty much a hodge-podge, but I think he's beautiful. He'll be a keeper from that crop of roosters, just cause my family likes his coloring.

First bird is barred Rock/Slw mix. Made him look like a very poorly colored Dominique!
Second to last--he's a mystery. Using the chicken calculator, best I can figure is he's a black sex link rooster over a Welsummer hen. The bsl father was home hatched, and his father was a mix of buff Orpington and New Hampshire. So, he's pretty much a hodge-podge, but I think he's beautiful. He'll be a keeper from that crop of roosters, just cause my family likes his coloring.

yeh he looks stunning, he definitely has that welsummer look about him...and I love hodge-podge! When you're breeding a purebred, it's not nearly as exciting because you know what they'll look like when they're an adult. Moggies rule!

Sex link cockerel, BO roo X BR hen

sex link pullet, BO roo X BR hen. We named her Purty Girl she has the BO fluffy feathers.

BO roo X red sex link

Cuckoo Maran X ???

Cuckoo Maran X ?? she has lacing in her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom