1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by allmychickens, Aug 31, 2011.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I've heard you can cross a pheasant with a chicken! what else can be crossed with chickens? Pictures??
    What can you cross with Ducks?
    Turkeys?
    what other cool animal hybrids are their?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Turkeys, quail, pheasants, as well as some rare jungle fowls that I dont remember the names of have all hybridized with chickens. I have heard Silver Pheasants and chicken hybrids are quite fertile. I dont know much about ducks. You may find this interesting: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKHybrids.html

3. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Ive heard of these crosses:
    Pheasant-Chicken
    Pheasant-Turkey
    Pheasant-Peafowl
    Peafowl-Turkey
    Peafowl-Chicken
    Peafowl-Guinea fowl
    Guinea fowl-Chicken
    Guinea fowl-Turkey
    Domestic Duck(Mallard descendant)-Muscovy Duck. I have had some of those before.
    Cat-Rabbit. Seen one before
    Horse-Donkey. Seen one before
    Donkey-Zebra
    Dog-Coyote. Seen some before, Nasty buggers!

There are MANY hybrids out there, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

4. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:How does that work? They aren't close enough relation to hybridize I thought?

Dog-wolf is another common hybrid. Nasty mix.

5. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    A cat-rabbit hybrid? Impossible.

6. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:How does that work? They aren't close enough relation to hybridize I thought?

Dog-wolf is another common hybrid. Nasty mix.

I disagree with you on wolf dog mixes being nasty. I have known a few and they were very nice animals. But they are not for everyone. Cat rabbit cross was a joke/scam years ago. It is impossible. They called them 'cabbits'. It is really just a cat with a genetic defect, causing the leg bones to look similar to a rabbits.

7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    A wolf hybrid is still at heart a wolf, and were HUGE in one place we lived. I carried a .45 pistol with me at all times because more than once we were challenged by one who was unrestrained. I refuse to call them nice pets.

They may be decent for a wild animal. But they are not a pet to me, nor will they ever be. I've met a coyote hybrid who was far more civil than any of the wolf hybrids I met. Granted, he won that because he was shy and wouldn't try to challenge a person first, and I never tried to challenge him, so he was likely still a coyote if you challenged him.

8. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:I agree they are not 'pets' in the sense that a dog or cat is. They are also not for most people. But not all are aggressive. But just because they are not a pet to you does not mean they can not be a pet to someone else.

9. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    those are cool hybrids

10. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010

It doesn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by