Hydrated vs Ag Lime

krazycow6

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Zephyrhills, FL
I have searched all over BYC and I have found a few topics about using lime. The arguement is, is it ok to use hyrdated lime or only ag lime. Not to be rude but if you do not have experience with this please do not comment because I would rather not burn my chickens with hydrated lime. The feed store near me only sells chemically hydrated lime. There were a few posts that I read that said it is ok to us hydrated lime, but then again it seemed like a huge argument. I would hope the feed store is not selling something that could burn their customers and their animals. Please share your knowledge with me.

I will be buying hydrated lime to put underneath my quails raised cages. I will also be putting wire around the risers to prevent any animals/kids from accidentally touching the hydrated lime because it will burn them. The person I learned this technique from told me that he didn't put up any barriers in the beginning and then had to deal with chickens with burnt feet when they walked in it trying to eat spilled quail feed. With chickens, dogs, and kids, I won't be taking any chances with them being burned.

Do not use hydrated lime where your animals are actively located. You will burn them.

I use hydrated lime in my pig yards, but only after I move the pigs to a new yard. I then move the pigs back several weeks later, but no sooner than 3 heavy rains and/or a month later. By that time the lime has soaked in.

I am not sure what ag lime is. We use hydrated and pulverized lime here.

Pulverized is safe for chickens to walk on and won't burn their feet. Although we usually spread it just before an expected rainfall to try to get it to wash into the ground better.

The hydrated must be tilled under and the soil should be let to rest without animals for a while to be safe. We usually till the hydrated lime in when we are moving birds to new pasture. We do the lime and reseed. Until it regrows, it is safe for them to be put back on.

Ag lime is pulverized limestone, I think, Jody. That's all I've ever used in my pens, though hydrated is better at fighting the odors. Hydrated will burn their feet if they walk on it while it's on top of the ground. Needs to be tilled under and/or watered in, I believe.

So are you saying that hydrated lime is ok if it is tilled into the soil. Meaning no dusting the ground. Another question is, "What is it about the lime that deters flies, the smell.

Last edited:
It dries out and breaks down the organic material. That is why often you may see a dead dog on the side of the road who has been hit and someone will cover the body with lime to make it break down faster and kill the odor. At least, I see it here sometimes. If it can do that in a short time frame, I can see how it would break down the poop quickly and hence, no more odor. It sweetens the soil.

Atwoods, a Ranch and Farm Supply is where I but the "Ag lime" which they also call "lime pellets" It looks like small, irregular, pellets and is gray in color. This can be put on the ground or the chickens could apparently even eat it and no problem. That said, we just rake it in when we put it in the run and no problem.

Hydrated lime is a fine powder, white and color and far more reactive, thus the burning potential. This is how it was explained to me.

Back
Top Bottom