Hydrocephalic chick? Or???????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmychicknkids, May 27, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, I hatched babies and had a very difficult time. Extreme low humidity and they were all dried out and "shrink wrapped" inside their shells. I had to help every one but got 10 adorable babies out of 12 eggs in the bator. The last one out had some problems. Serious rough navel, didn't absorb quite a bit of yolk. I left her in the bator LONG after the other chicks and then had her isolated part of the night in a small box in the brooder. One side of her head is larger than the other. She couldn't stand last night but today she seems much better. She can stand and walk but seems 'twitchy'. Not severely....almost like someone with mild Parkinsons. Has anyone seen anything like this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I cant answer your question with any certainty (so I will keep my mouth shut on that one) however I do know what I would do in your situation:
    I would immediately give that chick half a human geltab of vitE immediately (p r i c k open and squeeze out) and three drops of polyvisol enfamil.
    and the same for the coming five days. I would get some wheatgermoil from the health food store (not the germ but the wheatgerm OIL) and mix a tsp through her chick starter too (this will provide a bit of selenium so it can absorb the vit E). Hopefully this will prevent any neurological problems

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks...will do all of the above and hope for the best.

4. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Did this chick ever make it??

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh my.....I can't believe forgot to come back and put an update on this. [​IMG] Within about a week you could not tell anything had ever been wrong. [​IMG] She is now....oh my, what, about 6 weeks old. This is the little darling. The white one, of course. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love happy endings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by