Hydrocolloid Bandages

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LesGan, Aug 5, 2010.

1. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    Has anyone used hydrocolloid bandages for bumblefoot? As RN I used to do extensive wound care, and my hen's bumblefoot wound made me think of using Tegaderm for moist wound healing. The waterproof dressing holds the exudate in the wound thereby promoting the body's natural healing mechanisms and also keeping foreign matter out. Tegaderm was too thin to work so went to drugstore and found hydrocolloid bandages which were new to me (Johnson & Johnson and Cural). Seems to be working well so far and provides some padding to bottom of foot. After I initially debrided the wound I now soak feet, dry, apply hydrocolloid bandage and wrap in vetwrap. Pricey at about $1 a bandage....but it can be left on for 7 days. I have left dressing on for about 3 days and out of curiosity removed it to check progress.....and to make sure no returning infection. The wound was markedly smaller each time I have done that. I will post progress with my bumblefooted lady. Would be interested in others' experiences. Thanks

2. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    As a wound RN myself, I personally wouldn't use a Tegaderm. A tegaderm is nothing more than just a thin piece of clear film (almost like saran wrap). Probably wouldn't stick too well either (as I see you found out). They don't hold as much exudate as a Duoderm (hydrocolloid). Never delt with bumblefoot, but I can tell you - as far as geriatrics, I have seen a Duoderm heal some pretty bad wounds. We only leave our Duoderms on for 3-4 days. I guess you could keep an eye on it and see if any exudate was visible from the outer portion of the dressing, if so, I wouldn't wait the full 7 days. I wish you luck! Keep us up to date. (not a bad idea!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by