Hydrogen Peroxide for Meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Jun 24, 2011.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have heard about people who raise chickens putting this in their water to purify, which in turn helps with complete digestion of feed which results in better FCR (less feed). I priced some 35%, food grade peroxide a while back, and it's a bit expensive, but if the cost of it offsets the saved feed enough, would be a savings.

Anyone have any expirience using this? What where the results?

2. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Your neighbors with those big chicken and turkey coops use it by the barrel.

3. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    That's interesting sure enough. I haven't heard of anything like that. I would like to know as well.

Neil are you alluding to the idea that industrial growers use to improve FCR?

4. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I know King's use it as well, just haven't had a chance to talk to Levi about it. I guess I'm wondering what difference it would make on a small scale.

5. Neil Grassbaugh

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:It is used only as a water sanitizer and in some situations it helps keep minerals in suspension. More sanitary water may help FCR but only so far as it maintains top health.

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:It is even more valuable in the open water systems often used in smaller scale production.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Research has shown that 30 parts of 35% Hydrogen peroxide ( H2O2 ) per million parts of water as a water and container sanitizer, makes for generally healthier birds, also helps in chickens not getting avian flu, slightly increases egg production and slightly helps gain more weight on less feed, and supposedly meat taste better.(subjective).

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It sanitizes the water, but any benefits beyond those provided by sanitary water aren't really proven. You can find stuff on the web that says that hydrogen peroxide is the miracle cure for everything that ails you, but such claims are along the lines of wearing a tin foil hat.

9. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    That's good!

10. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Any idea what 30ppm would be equal to, as in how much H2O2 per gallon? I have seen some eggs from hens that are on it, and they were huge. I didn't talk to the fellow that raises them, just saw the biggest dozen of eggs ever from his coop, but was also told he uses some type of salt, I'm thinking it was Celtic salt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by