Hydrogen Peroxide, Iodine, Rubbing Alcohol, Mercurochrome not recommended any longer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SandyK, Jul 23, 2013.

  1. SandyK

    SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

    388
    3
    124
    Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I know longer use the products listed below, instead at the recommendation of many on this site, I've changed over to Vetericyn. Lots of places carry it, Tractor Supply, Amazon, Southern States, etc.It is wonderful for healing, and I've even used it for myself a time or two.

    CUTS AND SCRAPES Hydrogen Peroxide, Iodine, Rubbing Alcohol, Mercurochrome

    When the skin isn’t broken, it’s hard to beat iodine for killing bacteria. That’s why doctors use it to clean an area before surgery. But when there’s a cut, says dermatologist Robert Kirsner, a spokesperson for the American Academy of Dermatology, full-strength iodine, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol can be toxic to skin cells, impeding healing. The chemical reaction (and bubbling) that occurs when hydrogen peroxide hits the skin isn’t only cleaning the wound—it’s killing healthy cells. And that stinging from the rubbing alcohol? This stuff hurts because it’s wiping out healthy tissue. Putting iodine on cuts and wounds kills bacteria, says VanRooyen, but it won’t clean the wound. “You want to protect the good tissue, and iodine doesn’t do that.” Mercurochrome also kills bacteria, but as the name suggests, it contains mercury, which is toxic, and not generally recognized as safe, says the FDA. Today, doctors don’t use Mercurochrome. Read more: http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/7-first-aid-standbys-you-should-never-use/#ixzz2ZvVjkKKo
     
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by