1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hydrogen Peroxide vs. Bleach ???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rdranch, Dec 5, 2007.

  1. rdranch

    rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

    311
    0
    149
    Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Does anyone have opinions on using hydrogen peroxide instead or bleach for sanitizing things in the coop like waterers,feeders and surfaces?
    I read an email a few weeks ago touting the safe sanitizing properties of peroxide. It is safer and more effective at sanitizing and isn't toxic like bleach. We are now using it on kitchen counters, cutting boards etc now. it also works very well at getting the skunk "funk" of dogs as well. Any thoughts???[​IMG]
     
  2. gritsar

    gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

    28,907
    113
    408
    Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Don't know about using it on surfaces. I use bleach, my mama used bleach, her mama.....you know how that goes! [​IMG]

    I do know a tad about using hydrogen peroxide on skin and wounds. Again, my mama used peroxide, etc.

    Year before last I had a little bit of cancer removed and when the wound wasn't healing like I thought it should I grabbed the peroxide. My doctor told me they are discouraging that now as they've discoverd that peroxide used on a wound also destroys a bit of the healthy tissue. Take it for what it's worth. I still use iodine, too. :|
     
  3. SandraChick

    SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

    Chlorine- when used correctly kills not only bacteria, but also viruses and fungus.... It should be used in a well ventilated area, but it does "gas off" so once it's dry or been out long enough it's no longer toxic to you or your animals. dilution to a 10% solution it works great.

    Peroxide also touts that it kills bacteria, viruses, and fungi- but I''m still unclear on the strength and timing and availability of peroxide at higher strengths than 3-5%. Now I keep hearing that it's a must to use "food grade" peroxide around the kitchen and anywhere there is any food served or prepared. This worries me a little, but I'll admit I know little about it. I am concerned that there are all of a sudden many different grades, types, and strengths with little information to sort it out!

    Sandra
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by