Hygrometer Calibration

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ssbs, Jul 13, 2010.

1. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    I wanted to check and make sure my hygrometer was correct.. I followed the test instructions and it actually said 72%, but I am wondering if the temperature in the room was too high for that to be correct.. The temp in my house is 81, would that make the test inconclusive??

Thanks

2. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Anyone???

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    It should work at any temperature within its range -- the manufacturer should indicate what the working range is, but generally if it was designed for indoor/outdoor use it should be accurate from like -20 to +140 F.

4. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Okay, thanks for letting me know.

I wasn't sure because the instructions I've found said to test it at room temperature, which is normally about 70.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, you know, the thing about it is, the accuracy is also going to be a function of the quality of the instrument. I bought 3 separate cheap thermometer/hygrometers back in May to put into my incubator as a safeguard -- well, all three gave different readings when set side by side in the center of the incubator. It was frustrating. They were off by as much as a couple of degrees and 6-8 percentage points on the humidity.

So you have to take it all with a grain of salt anyway.

6. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Yeah, that is true with anything.. I hatched 8 out of 23 eggs with the hygrometer/thermometer that I've got.. 10 of the eggs didn't have any veins or anything in them, but I guess the thing can't be too far off since atleast some of the babies survived.

The problem that I ran into 3 days before hatch day was the power went out, I had to move the cooler-bator to a office building. In the process the bowl of water spilt out, when the babies started hatching I wasn't here. I lost two to drowning, there was one that piped on the wrong end and suffocated. There were two that were slightly less developed and died it the shells. I guess they died due to the temp flux during the outage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: