Hygrometer. cheap dial pet store any good OR

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FLITZ, Feb 19, 2012.

1. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Hygrometer help

I have some cheap ones from a pet store. for reptiles.. are they any good. I had one that seemed to be correct..just from sitting it near another one..so I bought another cheap dial one..the same as the first ..put them in the incubator side by side..and now one reads 10% higher than the other...thats not good....is it a fluke or just bad ones to use...Im going to try my hand at calibrating but who knows I'm using a soda cap some salt and water.. didn't measure it..and a plastic bag..

What do you guys use... anyone know of a cheap non digital one thats easy to find

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I found out the cheaper hygrometers are the best ones to use. I use two. One i got from lowes and one i got from the pet store (like the one you mentioned). The one i got from lowes doubles as a thermometer too. I bought real expensive ones before and they were very inaccurate.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If you choose to buy one from the pet store, compare the readings of several. They should all read the same. If they don't, avoid them. I use a dial type hygrometer that calibrated within 1%. I bought it online from a cigar shop. When I compared the reading of the dial types at petsmart, they had different readings by more than 20%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by