Hygrometer from Incubator Warehouse?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeffross1968, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
  2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I just bought the Hovabator 1588 and paid the extra $5 to upgrade to that therm/hygr. I can't really help you because I just opened the box yesterday and plan to set everything up for a test run for a few days this week. I do plan to use at least 1-2 additional meters for reading in the bator for multiple readings. I can't see myself running it so full of eggs (I know, best laid plans) that there wouldn't be room to give up some egg space.

I have seen other people on here talking about using that exact meter and saying they liked it.

I just want to have at least one bulb type reading in addtion to the digital. For spot checks, I also have a laser temperature gun that I use for the terrariums with my frogs.

Deb

3. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Mine works great with my 1588. I bought the combo with the hydrometer too.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm so glad you posted this. I have a full incubator right now, and my thermometer/hygrometer is sitting on top of some eggs - there's nowhere else to put it, and I was worried that when the egg turner turns the eggs, the weight of it might crack one of the eggs. So I'm ordering this one right now. I like that it has a probe that can fit into the vent in the incubator - won't have to worry about having something sitting on top of eggs. Thanks!

5. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I just got the same one! I got it because I found a lot of threads on here with people who were using them who really liked them. Although since this is my first time incubating I am running into mistakes and glitches ( I am sure they are all my fault). But hey, it's a learning process right? The link below explains the problems I am having. Will you let me know how your calibration with the salt goes? Good luck and happy hatching! I

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=596718

6. lipreader

lipreader Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    I have 2 LG and 2 Hovabators and that probe won't fit into any vent in any of them. What am I missing?

I just tuck the cord under the lid and it works, but the probe fitting in the vent hole doesn't seem to be a "feature" to me.

7. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Those of you who use this thing in an LG type bator...what level do you place the sensor? The sensor itself is long, maybe 1/2 the length of an egg, or more. I currently have it hanging through one of the top vent holes, but not sure what way might be best...

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have the one that sets on top of the eggs.

Didn't know they sold one with a probe.

Anyway, mine works great (doesn't break any eggs or anything).

It's accurate and very easy to read.

[​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have several.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    What size lightbulbs are you using in the cooler and what are you using for a fan??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by