hygrometer question ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster1969, Nov 28, 2008.

1. rooster1969

rooster1969 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    as a nebie in chicken incubating i need help. i got a 1588 hovabator and i looking for something easy to use but still relieable. i like the looks of the digital model that you put the wholething in but don'nt know how good they are so i thougt this would be the perfect place to ask before i got one and was sorry. you people on here are the best!!!! i love this forum, so much knowlage.

thank's,
    rick

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It doesn't really matter what kind you get. I have one of the accurite ones without a probe, and one of the cheapo $5 ones from wal-mart. Both work pretty good. There are some that are supposed to be +/- .2 or so. Either way you will need to calibrate it to make sure it is working properly.

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    HYGROMETER THAT USED GOT IN PET STORE THAT GOES IN A REPTILE TANK..IT WORKED GOOD.

4. rooster1969

rooster1969 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    thank's alot for the info. where i'm at you people are the only resoruce i have and you can't imagain how much all your info means!

thank's,
    rick

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I use the Fluckers that is available at the Pet Shops and as mentioned above is designed for reptile habitat. I have found it to be the most accurate and easy to use in my situation. Keep in mind the accurite with the probe will not give you the humidity reading inside the incubator unless you place the entire unit inside. The probe is for temperature only.

6. urbanhatch

urbanhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
  7. rSpriggs

rSpriggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Quote:According to how I read the details, it only shows inside humidity (only where main unit is, not in bator).

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Any of them that have a probe do that. You have to put the whole unit inside the bator.

9. Nathan

Nathan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Camas, WA, USA
    I have radioshack digital ones.

To give you an idea of the accuracy, three of in the same place read 42%, 20%, and 37%. I'm sure one of those numbers is accurate. [​IMG]

They are too big to fit in my Brower TopHatch when there are 48 eggs in there.

If I have to fit one inside, it have to be smaller than the Radioshack transmitters. OR wait until I've thrown out six eggs that aren't developing.

I may just have to try the "candling for humidity" trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by