Hygrometer Scream

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bare bottom farm, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Bare bottom farm

Bare bottom farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    HI all I have hunted and hunted and even ask ppl at walmart, but I can not find a Hygrometer...
    What isle deptment ?? Plaes help I'am so up set.. When I ask ppl at walmart they act like crazy.. Thnak you

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Petco or PetSmart in the reptile section. They are cheap too! [​IMG]

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    As I have said before,

Don't waste your money!!!!!

Those of us who have been hatching for years threw the things away the second Lowes started selling those cheap digital indoor/outdoor therm. with the humidity listed right on the screen!

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I got mine recently at Wal-Mart. It was in the same section as the thermometers (the outdoor ones) and I don't think the word "hygrometer" was on the package anywhere. It was just called a digital temp/humidity thingy. The brand is Springfield. I know a lot of people have had bad luck with them but I calibrated mine and it read humidity at precisely 75% so I think mine is okay. And for $6 its worth it.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Please don't use big words at Wal-Mart [​IMG] they have them with all the other thermometers

6. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    In the hardware/paint section in my store. They don't have any dedicated hygrometers, just the temp/humidity combo units.

7. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Jumping on this thread...i have two hygrometers...one is digital and one is a cheapo small reptile non digital. When I calibrated them, one was 16% and one was 15% off. But in the incubator they are 15% off from eachother! I'm about to start incubating and now I'm really worried. How is this possible. What should I do?

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Go get you one of those indoor/outdoor therm that shows humidity. Simple.

9. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is one with indoor/outdoor min/max LINK

Here's another model that I often see . . . I don't like the accuracy though . . . I once bought four for work - sitting side by side all four had different readings ! LINK
    Plus, while this does have mn/max - you have to push the buttons to read min/max - which means opening the incubator . . .

good luck,

X

10. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Humidity may also be determined using a wet-bulb thermometer. I'm not going to try to explain it, others can do it much better than I. Let me preface this conversation by saying that I've never actually used it. I was, however, considering it as an alternative to digital thing at Walmart. I simply don't trust them. I have one now and it does not appear to be accurate, at least as far as temperature goes.

Another Explanation

A conversion chart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by