Hygrometer/thermometer question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdlover, Apr 20, 2009.

1. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    This is the first time I've hatched eggs myself in several years and the first time using one of those digital gauges. Here are my questions:

1) With the cheap LG thermometers, you are supposed to have them level with the tops of the eggs. Does the hygrometer need to be like that, too, or does it matter? Will it give the same reading no matter where it is placed?

2) I've read lots and LOTS of posts on here about the level the humidity should be kept prior to day 18 but can't remember what is the best level. Is there a range in which the humidity should be kept days 1 - 17? Ands days 18 - 21, it should be about 65 - 70%?

I'm starting the eggs Wednesday and would like everything to be as perfect as possible when they go in so thank you for your help!

2. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Please? Anybody?

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

With the cheap LG thermometers, you are supposed to have them level with the tops of the eggs. Does the hygrometer need to be like that, too, or does it matter? Will it give the same reading no matter where it is placed?

I don't think it's placement maters it just measures the water in the air.
    I've read lots and LOTS of posts on here about the level the humidity should be kept prior to day 18 but can't remember what is the best level. Is there a range in which the humidity should be kept days 1 - 17? Ands days 18 - 21, it should be about 65 - 70%?

Days 1-17 50% ,days 18-21 70-80% from what I have read.​

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
  5. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I was more concerned about the placement for temperature reading - should the digital gauge be even with the tops of the eggs like the LG thermometer or does it matter?

I am not superstitious but I think I shall wait until I candle on day 7 before starting a thread. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    My thermostat sits at the same level as the eggs on the wire shelf.

Edited to add - This is going to be the bestest hatch!!!

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:I put my thermometer/hygrometer on top of the eggs in the turner.

I use around 25% day 1-18 and raise to 45-60% last three days

8. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Well, for the thermometer portion of the unit to measure correctly it should be at egg-top level, thus the hygrometer portion would be there, also. Unless....you have a unit with an "outdoor" probe....then you could place the main unit anywhere you would like. I don't believe the humidity level will stratify like the temperature does.

Quote:My plans are to shoot for 40% during the first 18 days and then bump it up to 65% from day 19 onward. Check out Bill Worrell's "Dry Incubation" article for some good info.

Quote:I hear ya on wanting to get things "right" before beginning. I still haven't started on my coop yet, and refuse to start incubating until it's basically completed even though it would be *at least* three weeks before eggs hatch...and I don't even have any in hand so that would mean another week or two added in there! [​IMG]

Best wishes on your hatch!
    Ed

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    birdlover, how did your hatch come out???

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by