Hygrometer/thermometer ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beakkeeper, Jan 17, 2009.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Enlighten a confused newbie here... [​IMG]

What's the difference between a thermometer and hygrometer? What's a wafer thermostat, and how do you read the temperature on it? In the McMurray January catalog, they sell an electronic full view bator that is "so accurate you don't have to set it". I'm wondering if this includes the humidity setting too?

Basically what I'm asking for is a basic temp/humidity rundown, including advice on which bator is best. Probably I'd be hatching quail, maybe chickens. Right now it's just in the "dreams of the future" stage, but with your help, I'll get it moving! lol [​IMG]

p.s. anyone use the R-Com mini bator? It's preset digital, and it costs about the same as the picture window one+a digital thermometer/hygrometer.

2. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    The difference between a thermometer and a hygrometer is that the thermometer will only tell you the temperature and a hygrometer usually will tell you both temp and humidity. A wafer thermostat is what is used to heat some of the older incubators I think, if I am wrong I hope somebody corrects me. Personally I use a Little Giant 9200 with a $6.00 hygrometer I got at Walmart.

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    rooster ray you are not wrong, you are right on the money, good job

4. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    Quote:Thanks

5. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    The wafer thermostat is just a temp sensitive switch... It turns the heating element. Much like the tstat on you wall for the house...
    Sorry I'm an HVAC guy.

6. blasto

blasto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Richmond
    I have three Welsummer eggs in a mini R-com right now. This is only day 2 of my first hatch, so I don*t have much info for you. I got it from Brinsea for cheap--they had a few in a *bump and scratch sale* for $79/$119 with scope. The last I checked, they still had the $79 one listed. The only thing I could find wrong with mine was a bit of scuffing on the cover and a beat up box. The full warranty applies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by