Hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmandaKyle, Feb 22, 2017.

1. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    I set eggs for the first time yesterday. I am using the Brinsea Mini Advance so there is no setting that measures humidity levels. I know this may be a silly question, but how do I use a hygrometer to measure the levels? I'm going to purchase one this afternoon, so I'm not sure if they come in different styles or how that all works. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'd go with a digital one, such as the Accurite combo temp and humidity ones you can get from Walmart and similar places for about $10. They're pretty accurate (they're what I use) and the humidity is just right there on the display for you to read and see :)

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2017

Hi @AmandaKyle.... there are several options for hygrometers. Personally I use several. Mostly digital, but my favorite is this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXOKPT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's easily calibrated and seems pretty sensitive and reliable. Its fairly small, very light...so, you could just lay it on or lean it up against an egg. It comes with a magnet to stick on flat area. Not sure about that in your mini.

Anyway, most hygrometers are cheap enough to buy a couple to compare to each other. Use the saltWater/zip lock test to calibrate.

Read, read, read.. all you can about incubation. It's fun learning new things and raising little chicks. You'll be a pro in no time!
    DB

4. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    Thank you both for your replies! I've been reading like crazy the past two days, and thankfully, the Brinsea Mini Advance seems relatively fool proof. I only have 3 RIR eggs in there as this is my "test" hatch. Hoping for the best! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by