Hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by halo, Dec 10, 2007.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    So Im JUST about ready to order my incubators, Ive read everything there is to read and I think Im comfortable with my choices. However, Im thinking I need to order a hygrometer. What kind does everyone here use, are they accurate? cheap? difficult to use?

2. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    you can get an accurite at walmart has indoor outdoor and hygrometer for about 12 bucks,you can put the outdoor probe in water wiggler works great,or at least mine did

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Digital hygrometers are easy to use and easy to calibrate to see if they are accurate as well. Here are two that I use:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I picked up a couple digital thermometer/hygrometers at Wal Mart for about $7 each -- saw the same model on eBay for twice that.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My wallie dont carry that one. I have the white accurite that is indoor only with the temp and humidity. Will that work also?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't use one [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

The AcuRite Indoor Humidity Monitor was really awful for chicksrule on here, so I don't know. You'd have to calibrate it to be sure by doing the wet salt test to see if it measured 75% after 8 hours. Here's a link to how to calibrate one:
    http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer_2.htm

You can also go to Walmart online and ask for an item to be sent to your nearest store for free.

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am sooo loving this website, I can't believe how fast I get such wonderful information. Ill head over to Wally World and see if I can find something there. Does anyone know what section it would be in? Im sure if I asked one of the people there where the hygrometers are Id get a blank stare....I know I would have before I discovered incubators. Those digitals look wonderful.

9. speckledhen

It will be in hardware or garden, depending on how your Walmart is set up. I got that first one at Home Depot and the second one at WalMart.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by