Hygrometer??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelaykay, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    What hygrometer have you had success with? I picked one up at wally world for $10 It was a digital Acurite. I HATE it. Both the temp and the humidity readings are way off. I calibrated the humidity and it is off by 4%. Then I calibrated it with a thermometer that I knew was accurate and that was way off as well. Anyone have any suggestions or products that have worked for them in the past?? Thanks guys:D
    Mandy

2. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I also forgot to mention that there is no dial or button to reset it:( -mandy

3. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Hmmm that's what I use, when I calibrated mine it was 5% off so I just add that to whatever reading I get, but so far I have not had any problems with it? I have to remove the batteries each time I want to reset it:(
    Ayda

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    We have bought 4 of the same ones at wally world and I wouldnt give you a plug nickle for a dozen more. The temp is off the humidity is off so we went to Lowes and bought 2 that have the thermometer on the end of a cord and you keep the part that reads the temps and humidity and they dont work. Now we are using 97cent regular thermometers and the temps all are the same no changes. Now my concern is the humidity. I have 13 peafowl eggs in one bator and 11 polish crested with 10 silkies in the other and the temps are just fine. Anykind of information on a good hydrometer would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rita

5. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:I also hate Accurite

they are not right and not accurate at all

I contacted the comapay and told them what I was going to use it for and they just send me a new one

the new one was even worse

I like one that I get at walmart

SPRINGFIELD precision temp
    [​IMG]

this is very close to 75% humidity only 2% off

and temperature is bery accurate

I like it

But lately im having hard time to find them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by