1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HYGROMETER

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GUNNERMATE, Mar 6, 2012.

1. GUNNERMATE

GUNNERMATE Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    California
    I need a good hygrometer for my incubator. I was wondering what everyone one thinks is the best. I know there is a lot of junk out there.

2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    You right on the Junk .I go to WM or another store wit a good return policy .Buy what I want and save reciept take home and do a cal check if it Passes OK if it don't take it back and get another..cva34

USN Too

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  3. laura877

laura877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    How do you check it?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    To calibrate (check accuracy) your hygrometer you do a salt test.

Fill a bottle cap, I like wide mouth or milk jug caps, with salt. Dampen it to a paste/ wet sand consistency. Drops of water, doesn't take much. Put the cap and hygrometer in a zip lock bag. Wait at least 4 hours, up to 8 hours is best. The true humidity in that sealed bag should read 75%. Any deviation to that is how far off your hygrometer is.

5. laura877

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    I did this last night and the humidity read 45%. I would say its way off. :). I'm sending it back. Does it matter if its table salt vs kosher? I wouldn't think so but thought it would ask.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    whatever you do DONT buy the cheap one from walmart. I did because it was recommended, and it sucks. WAY off. and apparently you cant calibrate it. waste of money. JMO though.

7. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
  8. laura877

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    I got a $30.00 one the other day, a "WEATHER STATION" and when I put it in the bag with the bag with the salt water, it would only get to 50%. This si the 3 or 4 th one that I have tried this with and 50% is the highest I could get. What am I doing wrong?

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I browsed cigar, reptile, guitar, and "herb" growing forums as they are all big into humidity and hygrometers. The caliber three kept coming up in recommendations. I am using that, and a cheapo walmart one (from what I hear, even though it is accurate now, it will crash and burn pretty quickly). They both match each other, seem accurate, and the temps match my mercury thermometer, so I'm happy.
    Some notes on the caliber III.
    1. Do NOT use the salt calibratin method with this device.
    2. It will appear to be broken at first. It takes a few hours out of the box to stabilize.
    3. It must be in a certain upright position, and the back can't be blocked or it will read waaaay too low for temp and humidity. I have mine propped up and it works great!

10. Silkiemom2

Silkiemom2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    I bought the same one on ebay...seems to work good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by