Hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ole rooster, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Did I ever have a let down. Bought the incubator, egg turner and was going to get the hygrometer. Guess what. Every place that sold the incubator didn't know what hydrometer was. I said what? Really? I had one feed store said they didn't have one and the young fellow admitted he didn't even know what they were. I know I probably did wrong but I got the heat regulated put in some water and eggs and ordered a cigar hygrometer off the internet. I've read to start out with some junk eggs but I have these 14 GLW egg I couldnt wait any longer on. I should have it hygrometer Wednesday. There's moisture in there, I just don't know how much or little. At least for a few more days.

Why do these stores sell all the stuff for hatching eggs and not a means to monitor the moisture?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Wal Mart has them Digital 8 to 20 bucks I buy them check calibration if there within tolerance .Accetable to me I use .If they flunk I take them back WW and get another
    Tell I get one that's good.They don't gripe much.. Google or search BYC for Hygrometer calibration.Simple and straight forward..Last one I got at ww cost 8.00 ACU-RITE is digital and has temp too.I've used it for 4 hatches this year it's been a good one....cva34

Ole Rooster also

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Being as I have never seen any incubator other than a LG in a store, no hydrometers comes as no surprise.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am just following the owner's manual on mine--put a little water in 1 channel in the bottom. That should work until you get one. It dawned on my after I started that I already owned a little hygrometer that I bought on sale at Walmart for $2. It works prettty well.

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I thought the same thing when I bought my LG at Tractor Supply. You'd think they would have them right there with the incubator. Kind of silly they don't. It would seem like an easy sell. they could have a sign that says something to the effect of "Buying an incubator, here is a list of other things you might need" and then have that stuff right there with the incubators. I would have paid double the wally world price to not have to drive someplace else to get what I need. Now that I think of it, I am going to suggest this to them the next time I visit the store!

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The folks at WM didn't have um. 2 stores. They said I would have to order online. I did, but not from them.2

7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only dummy that couldn't find a hygrometer at WalMart. I was also sorely disappointed in the hygrometer selection in the reptile/amphibian section of PetSmart (not to mention that they were on the "pricey" side as hygrometers go...$7 for a non-digital hygrometer only). I ended up going to Menards and getting a combination thermometer/hygrometer from the garden section for about $3. I'm just worried that it may be a bit too large, but we'll see.

8. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I went to the strangest place to get my hygrometer. I paid $25 but I'm glad I did because I got one and it worked beautifully!

I went to a CIGAR STORE!! And they not only had them, but they knew what they were. I didn't get any puzzled stares like I had a third eye growing out of my forehead. They lead me straight to them and I got a good one. Now the temp on it is crap, but the moisture reading is dead on!

Go to a cigar store, they'll have them. They may be pricey, but you'll have what you need.

9. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    At my WM they are in the Hardware area with Rain Gauges ,thermometers ,weather stations etc....cva34
    You probably got ahold of one of those that don't know what it is and just gave you a answer that always works ,On Line

10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I bought the most accurate hygrometer (in many people's opinion) possible. An old mercury filled, wet bulb/dry bulb. The temperature is extremely accurate. The hygrometer....

I had water dripping down the glass cover during a trial run, and it was only reading something like 30%. X) I'm not sure if it gets too much air moving past the wick in there, or not enough, but it was completely off. I went with a cheap digital one. The temp is off by four degrees, but the hygrometer is as accurate as those digital ones seem to get. It will break eventually, and probably sooner rather than later, as the lifespan of the Walmart ones simply isn't great. Many people just buy about 4 of the cheapos, and use all of them for comparison.

Cigar shops, guitar shops, and *cough* 'herb' growers all are really into hygrometers and usually have the top of the line models listed that should last you a very long time. Reptile people seem to have a wider range, and chicken people seem to generally go a bit cheaper. :)

Oh, and some prefer hygrometers that you can periodically calibrate using the salt test or other methods. Some are dead once they die, others you can re-calibrate.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by