hygrometers...

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
Hi, All.

My digital thingys that measure humidity that I got from Walmart all seem to say something different.

So I would like to get a good hygrometer, preferably with a probe. Of course I would like to not spend a fortune. Hmm. Is this even possible.

Any suggestions as to which hygrometer would be accurate?

Thanks.

Catherine

I use the Springfields and Accurites from Walmart. All do a god job for humidity readings.

Accurites are the ones with probes. Probes are used with a water wiggler to help mimic internal egg temps.

Quote:
I really hope I'm not intruding too much... I thought it might be questions that would help other people as well, perhaps the OP...

Where do you get water wigglers? I don't think I've ever seen them. And where are the hydrometers in Walmart? Yet again... Haven't come across them.

I have the same question about the Water Wiggler... if you get an answer, please let me know...
lol.png

SAB

I read so many good things about the digital hydrometers from Walmart. I ran out and purchased two Springfield brand. I calibrated both of them and neither read correctly. They both read low. One is off by 6 points and the other is off by 12 points. In my opinion that is not reliable and there is no way to calibrate them to read correctly. I'm going to switch to the probe type with wicks but those too will be calibrated. I would say go with an analog type that has the screw in the back that you can calibrate using the salt/water method. I hate having to add 6 points to one and 12 points to the other.

As far as the water wigglers. Most dollar stores or even arcades have them. They give them away at the arcades around here to those kids that do not score enough to win a large prize. Sometimes you can find them at party supply stores as well.
This is what they look like.
http://www.buycostumes.com/Clown-Fish-Water-Wiggler/24580/ProductDetail.aspx?REF=SCE-froogle

I went to Wal-Mart.
No good hygrometers, unfortunately... And when I asked about "water wigglers", the workers stared at me like I was insane!
lol.png

Oh well, I'll check a dollar store.

Quote:
Don't ask, they are clueless. Unless it's a really common item that everybody has, they often won't even know what you're talking about. Once, I was looking for cotton string. I couldn't get it through to this idiot in the store what that was, if you can imagine anybody not being familiar with STRING. He acted like I was asking for something weird and exotic.

Go to the toy section. Look for displays of the less expensive little stuff, paddle balls, marbles, small bouncy balls, slime, balloons, decks of cards, etc. Check those areas. If a toy dept. employee comes along, they MIGHT know what you're talking about, but the ones I saw (and bought for grandkids) were called Water Weenies not water wigglers. There's a water toy that attaches to a garden hose, called a Water Wiggle, that could confuse the issue.

Back
Top Bottom