Hygrometers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missmaryb, Mar 11, 2011.

1. missmaryb

missmaryb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    Clearly from the results of my last hatch my grandfather's hygrometer has lost it's mojo..so i'm in the market for a new one. Any suggestions?

2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Reptile section at the pet store, or a cheap electronic one from Walmart. The cheap electronic ones are not perfect, but you can gage how constant it is and they are close enough.

3. missmaryb

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    I was just at Walmart looking for one and I couldn't find it anywhere...I asked an associate and he looked at me like I was speaking another language [​IMG] I got one at home depot

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Just ask for their outdoor thermometers. It's in the hardware section.

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    i got one last year from our hardware store and 12 hatches later, it was working fine. I will start my incubator back up again next month....let's hope it's still working good. I always put 2 different ones in there to see how close they are..and do the first hatch like that. Good Luck.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have bought many over the years both expensive and inexpensive and returned many to the stores in which they were bought until I found one that was correctly calibrated or at least as close as it should be. The link below will tell you how to calibrate you hygrometer.
    http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer_2.htm [​IMG]

7. missmaryb

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    Thanks chicken mom...I thought I'd buy cheap and work my way up as needed so I bought a $3 Acu-rite and the first thing I did was calibrate it..believe it or not, it was right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by