hygromoter

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aguirre, Nov 1, 2007.

1. aguirre

aguirre Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    earlier today i put a hygrometer in my Hova Bator. After two hours it reads 100.3 for my temp and 62-63% humidity. The humidity is too high right? I am only at the sixth day.
    I dumped all the water out except about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup in one little area on the bottom liner tray. shouldnt the humidity be closer to 50-55%? do the vent plugs have anything to do with adjusting the humidity? Any suggestions?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    The humidity should be 60-62% and raised to 70% at pip. The vent plugs control your humidity, if the humidity gets too high dont drain the water, open a vent plug, if it gets low make sure there is water, and close a vent, there are usually two vents depending on what incubator you have , i leave one open all the time and use the other one to control humidity, and take it out a hatch.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, the vent plug can be removed to let extra humidity escape, but you have to be careful that you dont let out all your heat, either. Try removing one plug and monitor it for a little while. The humidity should be between 30-50% with the best range probably 40-50% for the first 18 days.

4. aguirre

aguirre Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    feeling much better now as my humidity has leveled out at 54%, temp is staying right at 100...so now i figure just keep a bit of water in hte bottom and use the vent plugs to adjust...thanks for the help

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by