Hyper Chicks?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cassandra, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I have some chicks about three weeks old. They are in a brooder outside. It's still warm plus they have a light. But they run around like crazy.

They look healthy, are beginning to get their feathers. They will stop to eat and drink. I sometimes catch them roosting on a stick under the light.

But most of the time when I am within earshot, I can hear them peeping and when I am close enough to see, they are just run, run, running around the brooder. (It is 2ft by 3ft.)

They will run from one side to the other, sometimes all together, sometimes scattered.

What are they doing?! They are all pullets, 6 ancona and one dominique.

Are they unhappy about something?

Cassandra

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds normal to me. THey are like little kids. bouncing off the walls unless they fall dead asleep, not literally dead though.

3. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I have five seperate brooders set up (don't ask, I think I need an intervention) and that sounds about normal around here. Sometimes they fall aleep standing up. Too funny to watch!!!!
    Last night they all started calling and then singing to each other. EVERYBODY was singing their heads off. Since they cannot all see each other, I think they did a head count and then started their own version of "A Chorus Line"

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Sorry to say, that's normal. You should see mine, they run across and slide, just like little kids down a tiled hallway, just to kick up enough bedding to fill the waters. If they aren't successful, they just keep trying. Oh heck, they keep trying even if they are successful. [​IMG]

They are now roosting on the window sills.

5. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Oh, good! I am glad it is normal. they just seemed so frantic. LOL I don't remember the reds doing that back in the spring time.

They are so fun to watch.

Cassandra

6. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Yep, noisy chicks are happy chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by