Hypothetical Pullet and Roo question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dilly, May 22, 2008.

1. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    For those of us just starting out with new chicks, I realize there is always the chance of a roo choming in with the pullets we thought we ordered.

Lets say you get one, roo that is. Can you safely raise them all together and let the Roo live in the coop with the hens?

I may have the cutest sweetest Baby Buff Orp roo in my batch. Well I just know he is a roo he is all boy. Sweet one at that and would love to keep him around, but not if he has to live alone.

Dilly

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Yes he can stay in the coop but he will also fertilize the hens while he is in there. If you dont want that to happen give him his own pen in the same coop seperated with chicken wire. Then he is not alone and there is also no fertilizing going on. That is what we do.

3. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I may have to, it is so easy to get attached. He has heavier bone, slow to feather and just acts all rooish. But when I hold him, he settles in and loves it.

Dilly

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    If you collect your eggs every day then the fertilized eggs are not a problem (none will ever know). Then if in the spring a hen goes broody, and buff orpingtons do, you could have cute little chicks from your own flock! I would keep them together.

Good Luck, he sounds like a sweetie.

5. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Since I do not want to add to the numbers. You guys better want some buff Orps. Has anyone ever shipped out day olds or few day old chicks? Like you do with eggs? Or would that be cruel to let a mommy hen sit on them and then ship them off? Just thinking out loud here. I guess I could always give them away when mom is done with them.

That brings on another question. How long does the mom hen take care of the chicks once hatched?

Thanks to all in advance.
    Dilly

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you are not wanting to add to your number of chickens collect your eggs daily and do not incubate them or let a broody hen sit on them. Problem solved. Just remember in 2 years you will want to start growing out replacement hens because your hens will slow down, may not give you an egg a day and often hatchery chicks/hens burn out early and die off sooner than breeder quality chicks/hens.

Shipping day old chicks is what the hatcheries do. I don't think as a backyard chicken flock owner you want to get into that. To ship chicks out of your state and into other states you are supposed to have a certification of testing for disease and disease control. If you got caught shipping day olds without it the penalties are huge. Virginia is a state that is strict about livestock coming into the state.

7. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    that varies hen to hen-but I would say 4- 6 weeks is average-but I have 1 silkie that was tired of her babies after only 3-and an EE hen that I took hers away after 8.Usually silkies are excellent mothers

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When a hen hatches her eggs she teaches the chicks everything they need to know in about 4 - 6 weeks. Around that time her maternal instinct turns off and they become just other chickens. She no longer sees them as her chicks and moves on about her business without them. She'll start to fatten up and start laying again around this time too.

9. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    If you dont want the chicks just collect the eggs daily and put them in the frig and they wont be chicks. Or you can sell the eggs for someone to put under their hen or in their bator.
    Then you wont have to sell the chicks either.

10. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Sounds like the way to go, Eat or give the eggs away if there is an abundance. Also one or more does hatch some chicks, I know allot of people that would take the babies after 6-8 weeks. Not a problem. Thanks allot ladies.

Dilly
    Edited to add, thinking about this, I can always post pics of the roo and hens, and if there are some that would like eggs or in need from a loss, I could easily just send them the eggs, no need for permits or legalities doing that, done on here all the time. Oh and I would not charge, just shipping. I think it would be a nice way to give back to those looking for nice Buff Orps.
    Also, since I am not into large numbers or want to add until I need to, I was thinking since I have so much room, I may even add about six other hens of purebred stock and ship off those eggs for those looking for more than the ordinary run of the mill variety. This feeds my interests in having great looking birds around without having to worry about too many eggs.
    And some will benefit from eggs for just shipping. I love this hobby, or animals that is.

Dilly

Last edited: May 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by