Hypothetical Q

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DENALI, May 2, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Say you are a breeder that has worked hard for years to perfect your lines. You want to protect your hard work but you also sell off the excess eggs for eating. Is there any way to make your otherwise fertile eggs unable to produce a chick so that someone cant just buy your excess eggs for a couple bucks a dozen and use them to hatch their own flock from your hard work? Hope that makes sense. Thanks

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I don't know of any way to make them completely infertile but washing them reduces hatchability. I'd suggest washing them and putting them in the fridge for a few days before selling them.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  3. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yes it makes sense, but the only way to have unfertilized eggs is to not have a rooster, but then you wouldn't have much of a breeding program [​IMG]
    It would be best to sell the eggs as hatching eggs, sell them to family members/friends that you knew only wanted them for breakfast ([​IMG]), eat/hatch them yourself, or feed them back to the birds.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Refrigerate them for 1.5 to 2 weeks before selling them. They are still perfectly fresh and good for eating. The probability of hatching at that late date and being held in the cold should be fairly small.

5. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    What about shaking each egg?

6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Quote:Shaking the eggs may cause the yolk to rupture inside the egg. You might have unhappy customers if every egg they crack is already scrambled inside.

7. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Quote:Shaking the eggs may cause the yolk to rupture inside the egg. You might have unhappy customers if every egg they crack is already scrambled inside.

LOL true...... trick would be to shake it just hard enough but not break the yolk..... or could start a niche market for scrambled inthe shell eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think your customers would be unhappy with pre-scrambled eggs!

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I have heard(not personally tested) that if you refridgerate the eggs on a low enough setting(the colder the better) it renders them unhatchable. I cannot recall the actual temperature though.

-Kim

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chilling them for and extended amount of time will reduce rates, and the cooler the longer the less likely to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by