I’m brain dead today so I need help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ginbart, May 20, 2011.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I hatched a chick this morning. It had time to dry but it’s feathers are all stuck to it. Does that mean to much humidity or not enough?

I have more hatching and I don't want that to happen to them.

Thanks because for the life of me I can’t remember. [​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Congratulations on the 1 that hatched. I am not sure so I am sorry I cant help you. Good luck and hope someone helps.

3. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It's the second one that is happened to, the first one was ok. The third one I needed to help because it was stuck in the shell. I hate to help but if it's because of me then I do it.

Thanks anyway I'm glad to see someone is on here and maybe I'll get an answer. Have a good day.

4. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    i think sticky is not enough humidity

5. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

The chick will fluff out. If it is sticky, I would think it is too much humiditywhile in before hatching.

6. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Nope it's not going to. It's like glue on it and I will need to wash it in a couple of days.

So it's a vote for 1 not enought and 1 to much. [​IMG] I didn't have it higher than 65. [​IMG]

7. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    You've got a condition called sticky chick. Its when your humidity drops when hatching has begun. So, raise the humidity up a bit.
    If you have chicks that are stuck in the shell you're going to have to wash it off with warm water. Hope this helps! Good luck!

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Mrs.brown :

You've got a condition called sticky chick. Its when your humidity drops when hatching has begun. So, raise the humidity up a bit.
    If you have chicks that are stuck in the shell you're going to have to wash it off with warm water. Hope this helps! Good luck!

I washed it under water 3 times now. I hope I got it. It's so strange, only one was bad and it's so little.

Thanks for the help after washing it twice I was thinking there was something I could put on it besides just running it under the water because that didn't seem to work.

I do have another thread open on this so we can close this one.

Thanks again.​

9. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Shrink wrapped: before pipping, both inner and out membranes dry tight around the chick; caused by too little humidity throughout incubation
    Sticky chick: after pipping, the liquids dry becoming glue-like followed by concrete-like; caused by too little humidity during lockdown
    Wet sticky or Swollen: the chick is swollen with water or simply very wet and sticky; caused by too high humidity throughout incubation

10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    this is confusing for me, as well.

on one hand you posters posting 100% sure, absipositivelylutely it's one, then you get one that is equally 100% absipositivelylutely it's the other.

the problem with the internet, is everyone is an expert [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by