I’m back :( new gosling can’t walk

Jewelzngems

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2018
omg what am I doing wrong? This is my 4th gosling with problems. First had Spraddle leg and something else (wouldn’t stay upright was always on his back) couldn’t swim (falling back even in water). That one didn’t make it. Next had another Spraddle leg but she is doing great now!!! Did a splint and swimming exercises and after 2 days she was perfect. Now have a sick older gosling about a month who seems to have a respiratory infection. And last night one of my last goslings hatched and it can’t walk or stand at all. What is wrong? It doesn’t seem like Spraddle leg like the others. The legs are not splayed out like a in a split. It doesn’t even attempt to stand or walk. I’ve hatched 16 goslings and had problems with 4. What am I doing wrong? What’s wrong with my new baby?

Can you describe your brooding practices? What are you feeding them?

The one you think has a respiratory infection, what are its symptoms?

Ok so they have all been hatched in a pro series farm innovators incubator. I’ve monitored heat and humidity (increased humidity at hatching time) like I’ve read I’m supposed to. Out of that incubator and settings I also hatched 16 happy and healthy chickens (did lose 1 chicken who died 1 day after hatch). I also hatched 12 completely happy and healthy goslings (I had 20 eggs only 4 didn’t hatch). So I’ve had a pretty good hatch/health rate. But still. 3 with leg issues?? Seems odd.

So after hatch they stayed in incubator for no more than 3 days and then were moved to a brooder. It’s wooden with a mess door that leaves about half of the front open to see in and out. It’s 8’ x 4’ x 4’. The first half where the door is is where I keep their food and water that I clean out every other day even if not empty. The second half is taken up with the heat pad/unit. There was never more than 7 young goslings in there at a time. And I would clean out and add new shavings at least once a week but usually twice.

They have been fed 20% starter crumble. That red treat basket is filled daily with fresh grass and greens. I take them out to swim for at least half hour on warm days and then move them to the outside pin for a few hrs of grazing. I also walk them about the dirt driveway for at least half hr a day.

The one with respitory infection may he caused by mold. I just deep a seriously deep cleaning and found a very small (seriously like nickel size) clump of moldy food in the box in the way back I must have missed.

Her symptoms: heavy breathing, can hear wheezing when I put my ear to her chest. Not very active. Just wants to lay with you and cuddle. I’ve been giving her vetrx and started nutridrench today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 10
  • 04F25B2F-7280-403A-87F6-851B95A4299C.jpeg
    04F25B2F-7280-403A-87F6-851B95A4299C.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 714CDC83-6E68-4579-BA8F-E653573A28F6.jpeg
    714CDC83-6E68-4579-BA8F-E653573A28F6.jpeg
    518.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 5767BCBE-E110-4C36-BF40-56B7F28CF4D4.jpeg
    5767BCBE-E110-4C36-BF40-56B7F28CF4D4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I see you said you're feeding a 20% starter - is that a chick starter? If so, have you been supplementing with niacin? If not, that's probably the cause of your leg issues and you need to start supplementing ASAP.

Yes they do get niacin. But the leg problems are at hatch so before they have been fed anything......

Yes they do get niacin. But the leg problems are at hatch so before they have been fed anything......

They can hatch with a deficiency, so it could still be a vitamin issue even if it's right from hatch. But if you're providing them the appropriate amount of niacin, it should have cleared up if that's what it was.

Oh like if the parents don’t get enough? Mom and dad aren’t mine so I’m not 100% on their feed and what not. I will have to ask....

Back
Top Bottom