I’m interested in raising chickens and much more.

hbozss

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
I am Interested in raising chickens. I would like to know about how to get started raising chickens, choosing a chicken breed, building a coop, raising chicks, chicken care and more.
I have some Muscovy ducks chicks, turkeys, guinea fowl and a flock of fancy chickens in my backyard garden.r rai

Well first thing to get started is how many you want or have time to tend to. I would say start with 3 or 4 (maybe all different breeds). Pick your breeds, since they dont have a function you can pick any kind. Then get yourself a coop and run. I would suggest you get or build one much bigger than you need because chicken tending tends to be highly addictive and you'll probably expand your flock. That way you already have the space for them. Then you just need to acquire the birds either as chicks or started pullets. If you do chicks you'll need a brooder and all the fun stuff that goes with babies. I would suggest getting some ee or super blues. Their pretty quite birds and they are stunning to look at.

Well first thing to get started is how many you want or have time to tend to. I would say start with 3 or 4 (maybe all different breeds). Pick your breeds, since they dont have a function you can pick any kind. Then get yourself a coop and run. I would suggest you get or build one much bigger than you need because chicken tending tends to be highly addictive and you'll probably expand your flock. That way you already have the space for them. Then you just need to acquire the birds either as chicks or started pullets. If you do chicks you'll need a brooder and all the fun stuff that goes with babies. I would suggest getting some ee or super blues. Their pretty quite birds and they are stunning to look at.
Thank you for your advice. I have already bought 7 guinea fowls, 2 turkeys, 4 Muscovy duck chicks, 1 frizzle hen, 1 polish hen, 1 black cochen male and a pair of Japanese bantam.

smiley welcome.gif

The Learning Center is a great place to start figuring out raising poultry (click on the brown tab labeled "Articles" and you'll see the LC).

If you have questions, you can find a lot using the Search function or just ask...lots of friendly, helpful members here to help you out.

Best of luck, thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom