I’m on day 26 with no internal Pip. Can anyone help?

Washboard Chronicles

In the Brooder
May 6, 2019
This is my first hatch experience, it is also the hens first hatch. I have studied and studied, watched and read dozens of threads and posts about not intervening.

With that said we are on day 25. No internal pips that I can see. I did a float test today. I have three low floaters with movement. I left them alone and placed back under the hen.

Of the two others tested, one sank one low floated, neither with movement after waiting quite some time. They both had very small air sacs upon candling and looked full of liquid. I carefully opened the floater on the air sac end. The color was rough so I pierced the membrane to find a very small embryo that was dead.

I also opened the other one (the sinker with no movement) expecting to find the same, but upon pipping through and peeling back there was movement beneath the membrane. I fear I may lose this one, but I carefully put Back under the hen as is without the membrane pierced.

I have been really patient being as it is day 25. Just unsure about what to do with the one I have opened, as well as curious about the other three. I’m sure I’ve messed up on this egg but Any help is welcomed.

I do not have an incubator, and the ambient humidity is at 75 - 90% today

Frustrated and concerned in East Texas!

Attachments

• 43D46E86-BF10-4086-90BD-373E6F6EF62D.png
    43D46E86-BF10-4086-90BD-373E6F6EF62D.png
    2 MB · Views: 89
Yes, chicken eggs. There is movement, no chirps or peeps. I’m forsaking the calendar at this point. Entering day 27 with no internal pips. Gonna let happen what happens I guess.

Last edited:
I’m forsaking the calendar at this point. Entering day 27 with no internal pips.
Are you positive on what day it is?
All eggs were put under bird on the same day?

I usually leave broody alone on the last days,
and only candle once or twice during the first 14 days to remove duds.
Candling late in the game can screw things up,
and floating for embryo movement
(not sink or float like eating egg freshness)
is really not a good idea.

Gonna let happen what happens I guess.
:fl

Yes I am absolutely certain of the date. The hen has been in a closed coop since I moved her to begin the process. I keep copious notes on my farm, as well as a video blog on Facebook. I’ve checked, double checked, and checked again. Appreciate the tips on candling. We are on a solid day 26. Still have movement in the three eggs that are left, but pretty sure that they have not pierced internally into the air pocket yet.

Last edited:
Does anyone think there is still hope for a hatch?

My plan at this point is to continue to monitor and wait to see if they pierce through the membrane into the air sac. Assuming I can hopefully hear chirps at that point? If so, will give them 24 hours to break a pip in external shell. If not, I will make a small one, then wait another 24 hours before assisting with peeling back more shell.

I am assuming that if they break internal membrane on their own, the yolk sac will be absorbed and they are ready for oxygen.

Is there any other way to tell that has happened outside of chirping sounds?

Does anyone think there is still hope for a hatch?

My plan at this point is to continue to monitor and wait to see if they pierce through the membrane into the air sac. Assuming I can hopefully hear chirps at that point? If so, will give them 24 hours to break a pip in external shell. If not, I will make a small one, then wait another 24 hours before assisting with peeling back more shell.

I am assuming that if they break internal membrane on their own, the yolk sac will be absorbed and they are ready for oxygen.

Is there any other way to tell that has happened outside of chirping sounds?
Yes,,

Even though you know the date and think you know when she set.. you could be wrong. Hens are tricky. They may not start the day you think they did.

They may not have been full on broody. Their body temp might have been a tad low.. too many variables.,

Let the hen tell you when it is hopeless, not you tell the hen.

I think there is still hope. The egg you part way peeled might have some trouble. I would have lightly coated the exposed membrane in some kind of oil like coconut oil, olive oil or vaseline, to keep the membranes from drying out before returning it under the hen. After that there's nothing to be done but wait. If they are all like the one pictured they seem to be at the final stages of development so I would wait at another 48 hours before having another look.

Back
Top Bottom