I’m pretty sure this guy is a rooster...

HenryNHenrietta

Chirping
Aug 15, 2020
I’m pretty sure this guy is a rooster but I have never heard him crow... or seen him crowing. I do have two other roosters and know which one is crowing. Was just wondering what you all thought. Is he just a late crower? He’s almost 7 months old and I’ve never seen him mount a hen either for that matter. Originally we had 7 roosters and they all were mounting the hens at one time or another. We eventually pared down our roos. This guy is a little different.
D8ACF3F3-71A8-4560-9DE7-4819048E3B35.jpeg
CCD6FE22-5FA0-4515-894F-DC2D0CCDA479.jpeg
3613D32E-F450-47E4-959D-223A31A346F3.jpeg
A904B16C-0A4C-4AFD-A266-BC870EB3DFB6.jpeg

He sure looks like a rooster to me!
Some specific details I notice:
--He's overall lighter in color than the barred hen (normal in barred breeds, because barring is on the Z sex chromosome, so males can have two barring genes while females only get one.)
--His comb and wattles look right for a rooster, although I wouldn't decide purely on that, because some hens could also have a comb & wattles like that.
--I think I see narrow, pointy saddle feathers (that's harder to see, because the black/white of the barring is confusing, but I think I'm seeing it.)

I have heard that some roosters won't crow, or mate with hens, while living with another rooster who is dominant to them. (That obviously does not apply to all roosters, but it could maybe explain why this particular one is not doing those things.)

Or maybe, as you suggested, he's just one of those that starts late.

looks like a rooster to me, can you get more side pictures of him?
--I think I see narrow, pointy saddle feathers (that's harder to see, because the black/white of the barring is confusing, but I think I'm seeing it.)

I have heard that some roosters won't crow, or mate with hens, while living with another rooster who is dominant to them. (That obviously does not apply to all roosters, but it could maybe explain why this particular one is not doing those things.)

Or maybe, as you suggested, he's just one of those that starts late.

I hadn’t heard about some roosters not crowing or mating when there is another dominant rooster there, pretty interesting 😃Thank you

Back
Top Bottom