I’m thinking boy but I’d love extra opinions

legojenn

Songster
Feb 10, 2018
western Quebec
Recently I posted an image of a Lavender Orpington that I thought was a cockerel. This is one of its siblings that I bought as a day old. It is supposed to be a Brahma/Orpington mix. I don’t know the colours of its parents of whether the Brahma is a bantam. It has a similar body shape to the Lavender Orpington, but not the same comb growth. I still think that it’s a seven week-old cockerel. They’re hard to photo, but I can try to get another image of this isn’t clear enough.

jenn

CD6EFE67-3C49-463E-B303-0F82EEF37B5A.jpeg

Recently I posted an image of a Lavender Orpington that I thought was a cockerel. This is one of its siblings that I bought as a day old. It is supposed to be a Brahma/Orpington mix. I don’t know the colours of its parents of whether the Brahma is a bantam. It has a similar body shape to the Lavender Orpington, but not the same comb growth. I still think that it’s a seven week-old cockerel. They’re hard to photo, but I can try to get another image of this isn’t clear enough.

jenn

View attachment 2161608
I can’t help you with breed or color but it definitely looks like a pullet! Better pictures would be nice but my rule with Orpingtons is: if you see bright red waddle development by 6-7 weeks, it’s a roo. If not, there’s a good chance it’s a pullet! By the looks of the pic, it has barely any red or pink coloring in the comb and I don’t even see any tiny waddles.

I can’t help you with breed or color but it definitely looks like a pullet! Better pictures would be nice but my rule with Orpingtons is: if you see bright red waddle development by 6-7 weeks, it’s a roo. If not, there’s a good chance it’s a pullet! By the looks of the pic, it has barely any red or pink coloring in the comb and I don’t even see any tiny waddles.

I appreciate that. Thank you. My lavender Orpington is very much a boy and the three mixes and probably pullets. If it’s true then the young man is not biologically related to his sisters. It also means that if they stay together, his rooster behaviour will be a little less cringeworthy (from a human perspective).

FA4918BE-95CB-4064-8AAE-97CBC4CE7047.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom