➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Had a good :lau reading your "mistake" but I look at it as a SIGN. After this you need to get yourself an incubator, just in case. I have a Janoel 12 still in the box, for "someday".
I know Filipinos love it, know it's a fertilized duck egg with embryo.
Looked it up on the internet but not posting the embryo pic (sad) ...

Balut (spelled standardized as balot) is a developing bird embryo (usually a duck) that is boiled and eaten from the shell. It originated from and is commonly sold as street food in the Philippines. Often served with beer, balut is popular in Southeast Asian countries, such as Laos(khai look; Lao: ໄຂ່ລູກ), Cambodia (pong tia koun; Khmer: ពងទាកូន),[1] Thailand (Khai Khao; Thai: ไข่ข้าว) and Vietnam (Vietnamese: trứng vịt lộn or hột vịt lộn).

The Tagalog and Malay word balot means "wrapped". The length of incubation before the egg is cooked is a matter of local preference, but generally ranges between 14 and 21 days.

The eating of balut is controversial due to religious, animal welfare, and human health concerns.

Mallard ducks are used extensively in the production of balut.

:flGOOD LUCK :fl
:pop
The worker people at the store, all Vietnamese were looking at me funny, I think.
I wonder if they were wondering if I knew what I was buying.
I had no clue. I wish someone at the store would have said something to me.

A9393B5C-2541-4B48-9C9F-E2AD177CC579.jpeg

I thought this was interesting. (I looked for actual pictures but none where clear.)

The worker people at the store, all Vietnamese were looking at me funny, I think.
I wonder if they were wondering if I knew what I was buying.
I had no clue. I wish someone at the store would have said something to me.
Probably were thinking you’d get a big surprise when you cracked one open!

YES! We can go nuts together!
:woot
go nuts? I’m already nuts lol these duck eggs have me stressing as much as the shipped silkie eggs last year. Only 4 are fertile out of 12.

If things go well when can I expect baby webs?

in 2-4 weeks? :D

What if these are Muscovy eggs?

We have no clue what breed of duck they are.
If and when they hatch they could be geese for all I know!
OH my...what in the world am I doing.....
YOU see this is why I did NOT want to start a thread Smuvie!
I am talking to myself!

Maybe weigh them. Might get an idea from average weights what breeds could be ruled out. Or just wait and see! :D

I'll look for some candling pics and days when taken...

Okay, I'm chiming in here. The first few times I scrolled past the thread on the "New Threads" list because I knew what Baluts were. I mean, you don't spend 26 years as a Navy wife whose spouse is stationed mainly in the Pacific and not learn something of the cuisine of the Asian and Island people. It's how I got hooked on lumpia and pork adobo, but that's another story for another day.....

Anyway, as I said I was scrolling on by it again when the name of the OP caught my eye. Seriously? The Happy Clicker has something going on with Balut Eggs? (Sorry, Kiki, but I always think of you as the Happy Clicker each and every time I see your name, because when BYC's platform changed and folks were having issues with features and postings, you were almost the first one to say, "Hey, I'll go try it and see what happens!" No fear, our Kiki!)

So now I guess I'm in for the long haul. Um, tell the ducks to make it short, will ya? I gots places to go and things to do...... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom