I accidentally broke her tail feathers off! :-(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Andora, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I feel horrible--I have this one chick (about 12 weeks old) who is much smaller than the others who are the same age but different breeds. My little chick is nicknamed Penguin. The other day I was shutting the door to the coop, and it was kind dark out. I shut and latched the bottom door (top half of the door opens separately) and I looked in and saw that Penguin Chick wasn't moving and was just standing pressed up against the door.

I flung the door open quickly and found that I had closed her tail feathers in the door!!!

The poor little thing didn't make a sound, it's a good thing I double checked inside the coop or she would have been stuck there all night.

I felt so so bad.

To make it worse, in the past few days all of her tail feathers that got closed in the door have broken off. Now she just has feather stubs and she looks even more pathetic than she already did.

[​IMG] My poor little chick!

I know she's going to be fine, she doesn't act harmed and it just clipped the feathers off, but I still feel terrible. Do you think they'll grow back anytime soon? Or will I have to wait until she molts for the broken feathers to fall out and fresh ones to grow back in?

[​IMG]

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I think they will take until next molt, but they will grow longer, with her other feathers.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    She'll be fine!

She's an adorable little girl!

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    As has been said, they'll come back with the next molt! She looks gorgeous!

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sure she is grateful you noticed her when you did! [​IMG] Bet she's the first to the coop now!! [​IMG]

Don't kick yourself for it....we've all been given bad haircuts before!

6. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I just can't believe she was silent! If that had been one of my SF hens they would have been ba ba BAGAWK-ing at the top of their little lungs lol.

7. red-hen

red-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Aww. Don't be too hard on yourself. You didn't mean it - and you double checked behind yourself and caught it. She must be an awfully mellow little girl to be so quiet. What kind is she by the way? Just give her extra petting and treat time - she knows you didn't mean it.

8. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    She's a Crevocoeur.

I got her from the Ideal crested bird mix. They told me they only had Polish laying right now out of all their crested birds, so when I got the order I was surprised to find this teeny tiny funny looking chick smashed into the corner of the box of chicks. Thankfully she perked up! She's my favorite, she's the most tame and docile out of all of my birds. I need to find a better name than Penguin for her, she doesn't look like a penguin at all now that she's feathered out.

9. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    She's pretty! Don't feel bad. [​IMG]

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I love the name "creve coeur" - it means "heart breaker". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by