I accidentally made a lake

DonyaQuick

Songster
Jun 22, 2021
Upstate NY (Otsego county), USA
A while ago I added a stone rim to my mulch-covered predator skirt to keep the mulch in. It looked like this a couple months back (I've since added a run extension but the stones and everything are still in place):

coop_sm2.jpg

Apparently I also have drainage problems now that leaves are getting washed down the hill. The pic below is from just after a storm when I had shifted leaves and dug a new drainage groove. The mud on the side by the coop is from my boots tracking it in as I had to step in and out of the mud and water; the ground contained by the stones is very sturdy and my chickens had a pretty dry run. My inner child was kind of tickled at having an accidental coop moat, but more sensible adult me knows this is a bad thing and I need to dig a bigger ditch as soon as the ground there dries enough that my feet don't slide around while I'm digging.

coop_moat_sm.jpg

I will need to fill the area with something though to stop laves from packing in and blocking up the area again - or so I hope. Can I use large mulch as a temporary fill for a drainage ditch? I want to do gravel eventually and also want to have a short gravel path to the coop, but I will either have to get it delivered or wait until I have a new vehicle next year. Mulch, however, I can take a few bags at a time in my current tiny car and could probably bring enough in one trip. If more mulch is likely to make the situation worse though, then I will just keep going out in a raincoat and clearing the drainage area when storms come until I can get gravel.

Back
Top Bottom