i ACCIDENTALLY UNPLUGGED THE INCUBATOR FOR ABOUT 23 HOURS...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Nov 10, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    HAVE I KILLED THE CHICKS? dj WE HAVE HAD THREE DEATHS IN OUR FAMILY IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS. MY MIND IS FRIZZLED! i UNPLUGGED IT TO CANDLE MY EGGS AND I SIMPLY FORGOT TO PLUG IT BACK IN. ARE THEY DEAD? THE TEMP WAS 73 WHEN I CHECKED IT. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    You never can tell. They may not be dead. They just may slow down their development. I hope you plugged back in and you'll just have to wait and see. If no one opened the lid, they might just be OK. What day were they one?

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    No one oped the lid. The temp is back up this morning 11-11-08. They were on day 12. I will leave them alone to see if they hatch. They are due to hatch on the 17th. Should I candle them in a few days or leave them alone. DJ

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I would just leave them alone and let it get up to a good temp. It is WAY better to go lower temp than higher temp. Hens leave their nests for hours at a time and the chicks do fine. not 23 hours but I think they will be ok, I would candle in about 5 days to see. Let them get back to a normal temp first. good luck

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

No advice, just [​IMG]

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, first sorry for all the loss in your family. :aww Second, just give it a try. My electric was down for hours (they were replacing lines all day!!!) And I did not loose any. I covered my bator with a blanket and it kept the temps pretty good. Stranger things have happened and the chicks make it fine. They probably will not hatch on the due date. I would say at least a day late. Good luck. [​IMG]

7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    UPDATE: i HATCHED OUT 28 CHICKS AND i HAVE LOST 3.

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I bet they're fine. I had a hen leave the nest and the temps went down to the fifties overnight. I warmed it up and threw it in the bater and it hatched. I think the rule of thumb is low temps will slow progress and high temps will cook...good luck

just saw the update....see!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Conjrats on the chicks.

10. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    That's great, and after 23 hours too! Hopefully this will encourage others through their power failures & etc.
    Good show, db

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by