I actually have two questions. Rhode island vs production and chance of a cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aamanda, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I had my father order me some Reds. He was supposed to order me a straight run of 15. BUT he ordered pullets only and I got 16. What are my chances I manged to get a cockerel? Should I keep hoping? Second thing is. I ordered from a hatchery. From what I have read they are probably production reds. However the hatchery has them listed as "Heritage " Rhode Island Reds with a sep listing for production reds. The Rhodes are listed on their site as APA. And that thwy have been working on the bloodline for 30 years. What's the chance they are actually Heritage? Thanks for any help! :)

Sorry all i messed up when i added pics and started a new thread!! :/
    Once again i am very sorry. I think i have an understanding of how the site works. If im messing up please tell me!!! Specially on the replies here is the link (i hope) to the thread with the pics.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...tage-rhode-island-reds-pics-now#post_11923291

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. happyfrenchman

happyfrenchman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    I ordered from hatcheries twice and they pretty much gave me exactly what I ordered. I had ordered RIRs, (heritage) and as near as I cold tell, that is what I got. They never did go broody but that is pretty standard for heritage RIRs too.

3. dutchbunny83

dutchbunny83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    It's very possible to a have a roo mixed in with a hatchery order.
    Sometimes they do send productions instead of RIR's too, you can tell by the coloring.
    Do you have any pics?

There have been quite a few instances when I've had a "pullet" chick turn out to be a cockeral

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Which hatchery is selling a 30 year line of "heritage" Rhode Island Reds? Very curious.
    Agree, you almost always get a cockerel mixed in somewhere. LOL

5. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Sorry it takes me so long to answer. No Internet at home. I will try to get some pics up today. I really hope I get a boy! I got the chicks from Cackle hatchery in Missouri.

6. dutchbunny83

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    I just looked on their site and it says Production Reds are sold out, only ones in stock are RIR's, so I would say it's a good chance that's what you have. Also said they've been "perfecting" their heritage strand since 1936 so that's like 80 years!

I would almost guarantee you have one cockeral mixed in there.

Production reds don't live as long, so you wouldn't want a rooster of them you would want the RIR for a rooster.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    True RIRs are very easy to distinguish from Production Reds once they start feathering out.

Now, that's TRUE RIRs. I have no idea if that hatchery is producing the lucious deep dark mahogany color that RIRs should have. If they are producing the iffy reddish RIRs that most hatcheries just toss out, then it gets harder to tell the difference (because by the time you dilute their color that much, you might as well call them Production Reds).

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I agree. Just because a hatchery has kept a flock for 80 years, if they used flock breeding, mass mill breeding techniques, which they surely are, then the results would be pretty normal, hatchery stock looking stuff. It is impossible for a hatchery to selectively mate this particular cockerel with that particular pullet, seeking to improve the line. When you have 100 roosters in a large pen with 1000 hens to produce huge, hatchery trays full of eggs for hatching, you sort of get what you get.

9. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    The Hatchery uses show birds for breeding stock (from what i gather) Seems like some of their breeds come from local breeders who show. I posted this question again with pics. (Sorry i at first couldnt figure out how to add them to this thread) So far they are a nice deep red.

10. dutchbunny83

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    That's why I asked for a picture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by