I added 11 eggs to my incubator with 7 day eggs in it will it be okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by motherhen7, Jan 19, 2015.

1. motherhen7

motherhen7 Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2015
    I have been collecting eggs from my white egg layers for the past 7-10 days and just added them to my existing batch that is on day seven with hearts and stars as opposed to x's and o's to tell the difference. The temp dropped in the incubator to about 98 but is rising slowly back to normal do you think my other eggs will still be okay? I candled last night and had moving embryos in every one I picked up.... Thank you [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    If you saw the embryo's move they'll won't die but also watch for defects and problems when they hatch.

1 person likes this.
  3. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    How long did it stay at 98? Have you candled tonight to check for movement?

If it didn't stay at 98 too long, I think they will be just fine. The hen will leave her eggs to go eat and drink each day for up to 20 minutes.

The problem is going to be at lockdown when you will need to up your humidity for the first eggs you put in.

1 person likes this.
  4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Also at lockdown how are you going to turn the eggs that you just put in. You won't be able to to open the incubator.

1 person likes this.
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That little bit of a drop won't hurt them for a short time.

1 person likes this.
  6. motherhen7

motherhen7 Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2015
    Thank you all I forgot about lockdown I may have to get a second incubator to move them to that is set up and ready to move into at that time :)

1 person likes this.
  7. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    [​IMG]. I agree!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I had 4 eggs I got from a friend and I kept hoping eggs from my chickens were fertile. I took them from under the hen and rushed them to the incubator, but I candled my hen's eggs too much, my eggs were not fertile but it stressed out the other eggs and they did not hatch- I am sure you will just put them in and not candle, or keep putting in more and more eggs like me. Currently I have 4 developing, I am trying not to candle or put in more eggs. These eggs I am hatching are just in a very small home made incubator I have hatched in before. these current eggs are diff. dates, but early on I think it is okay to slip some in. I am testing out my roos, they will not be this summer's roos most likely but it gives me something to do this winter. hoping for NN/frizzle bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by