I added 2 new hens to the flock when will the chasing stop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlaineWillard, Aug 30, 2010.

1. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i added 2 new game hens to the flock yesterday and the other chickens are chasing them around how long does it take for them to stop chasing them around.

2. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    and one of the game hens comes out of the nesting box to eat and drink then goes back in the nesting box. Do you think she is broody or just scared? She is sitting in a box with no eggs

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It takes several weeks to integrate a flock. I started a flock integration about 6 weeks ago and just in the past week have the two groups of birds started freely mingling. They still squabble at feed times, but are mostly pretty tolerant of each other.

As far as the girl in the nesting box- it could be either. I'd set up a couple feed and water stations to make sure the newbies are able to access resources.

Good luck.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's probably hiding and she figures she'll be left alone there. In my experience, the chasing will stop at 2 weeks. By then they'll have their new order figured out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by