I adopted two special needs chicks...(cross beaks)

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I think they are both roosters.

The maran rooster has a cross beak.

401575067_KwkoR-M.jpg

And the other rooster...I've never seen anything so sad!

Here is his good side:

401575452_hyd8v-M.jpg

And here is his...not so good side.

401575580_fK4zC-M.jpg

Upclose:

401575341_jSnMd-M.jpg

There just isn't an eye on that side of his head!

I've browsed a few cross beak threads on here, but here is my biggest question: What kind of water source should I have for these guys? They can't seem to get their beaks into the chick waterer because the space between the jar and the dish isn't wide enough. The other chicks drink from a rabbit waterer and they can't do that either with their beaks. A dish of water they tip over in two seconds flat. What else is there to put water in?

They seem to be eating up the mash (wet or dry) without a problem. They aren't afraid to shove the other birds out of the way either.

Any suggestions on how to gently correct the beaks? Is that possible?

Last edited:
First, thank you for adopting these poor chicks!

I started using plastic gallon milk jugs with just enough of the top cut away--left the handle on-- so they can drink our of it easily, about the top 1/4. I noticed that my chickens actually preferred this to the type of waterer that you fill, attach to the base and invert as they could dip their entire beaks in. Anyway, I suppose you could fashion a miniature version of this using a cylindrical container small enough to prevent drowing. I would maybe cut away the top half or third, depending on how tall the chicks are,of a soda pop can and superglue (like with a "Goop" type glue) the bottom to a wide base so that it can't be tipped over. Maybe use a really wide jar lid at least 4-5 inches in diameter, or even better a 5-6 inch diameter plastic lid from a margarine container or the like so that it's not too elevated for the little guys. I would think this would work?

That's a great idea! I'm going to try to fashion something like that tomorrow. Thanks!

Another question I meant to ask, does anyone know if cross beak roosters are able to crow? (If they survive that long.) I live in a subdivision, so crowing isn't welcome!

Oh I'm sure their little vocal cords will be in working order! But I also would have bet money there would have been an eye on the other side of that sweetie's little head too! So only time will tell but I've seen a roo crow that had almost no beak at all. Good luck and good job!

I have a cross beaked rooster he seems to do fine he is out with the flock, he just does his own thing. He isn't very bright either he walks in big circles sometimes esp when he is excited! So there is hope for these 2
smile.png

My cross-beaked roo Montgomery Ward is 1 1/2 and thriving. Since he can't pick up individual bits of food, I put the food & water in deep, wide dishes so he can get his whole face in. I also try to beef him up with oatmeal and scrambled eggs. He's still scrawny, but he takes being a rooster very seriously. Good luck with your babies!!

They are really beautiful. Really. Look at their bright eyes (or eye). Despite their "special need" the first thing that struck me was how perfect they are. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom