I agreed to the meatie birds! Now the boys want to know...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EggsForIHOP, May 29, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    So...the terrible two here are begging me to ask...can the freedom ranger birds from JM Hatchery lay eggs? Live a long life? Reproduce? Or are they strictly for meat like the cornish x?

I think if they are capable of being dual purpose, then I should probably be scared and file for divorce so the chickens can move into the house...then again maybe I can just move in to the coop! I have been putting this off for a few days...but they keep bugging me to find out and DH is no longer allowed to play on the computer (there was an accident involving the cat and a large drink from Taco Bell one time...no more unsupervised time with electronics for him!)

So here I am - asking questions again! Thanks as always! This place is like my chicken Bible!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They're made to be dual purpose birds. They don't lay prolifically, but they can live a normal life and reproduce, unlike the normal meaties.

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Thank you! We just came in from working in the yard and the hubby...oh so excited to hear that! I think the idea that the cornish x could be a little harder to deal with just based on potential health issues is putting him and his sidekick Frank off a little - maybe they will slow down a little and find homes for some of these birds that Frank had shipped (and let me have my original dozen chickens for eggs ) and stick with their own chickens for their own purposes! I want my hobby back for myself, which is selfish, but the point was relaxing and having fun, not having the terrible two telling me what to do...sad I know...but anyways...THANK YOU!

4. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Bear in mind that the Rangers are a hybrid, and thus will not breed true. That is, if you breed two Rangers together, the look of the offspring will represent the ancestors of the parents, which you have no way of knowing. So even if you breed two Rangers that look alike, you may get chicks that look like their grandparents or great grandparents...talk about a surprise package!!

I too have thought about growing out a few of my Rangers to see how they and their offspring fare as dual purpose birds...if you do this, please post on how it comes out for you!

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    They are hybrids, but some offspring will turn out like the parents, others will be like the various grandparents. So you'll have a range of differences. You can of course, keep the ones you like the best to re-breed, and eventually you'd get something that does breed true. It may not grow as fast as the originals, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by