I almost had a bad moment!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LegginMF12, Nov 25, 2011.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I quite frequently take an old water bottle, fill it 1/2 way, squish it before I put the lid on it and then zap it for 2 minutes in the microwave to use to heat up the turtles water. Well I threw it in the microwave today and apparently started it for the 2 minutes. I walked back into the kitchen a few minutes later and thought darn I didn't turn on the microwave. So I set for 2 minute and hit start. When the timer went off I opened the microwave, saw the shape of the bottle and heard a little hiss. Before I could even do the math in my head, I instinctively started to close the door. I got it just about 1/2 way closed before the bottle blew. This was enough to keep me from getting hit in the face with the water. It hit me in the chest and thankfully I am wearing super thick, fuzzy p.j.'s right now. (WHAT!? I'm on vacation). It was a little hot for a few seconds but no burns. If it would have hit me in the face it would have been a trip to the E.R. for sure. I did end up having to wipe down the walls and floor of one side of the kitchen though. I guess i should listen to TBG once in awhile.

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Thank God for fuzzy PJ's!!!!

3. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Nevertheless... TBG was watching out for you! [​IMG] YEY!

I've had lots of those moments... but praise be to TBG, He's always there for me [​IMG]

I know it sure is a little scary after.... so get yourself a (cold) drink and sit and relax for a while! [​IMG]

PS- Don't your turtles have a heater? [​IMG]

4. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Quote:He is a red eared slider and almost never comes out of his water. He has a heat lamp that is aimed over his water, but the water temp still gets into the 50's. He will cuddle up to the water bottle when I put it in. We originally had the heat lamp aimed at the sand but he would never come out to bask and we are trying to prevent him from going into hibernation right now.

5. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Ahhhh!

I had a turtle for the longest time... from the same general family as the red ears.. she was a Pseudemys Floridana Hoyi (Florida Turtle).

When we took her up to Maine and accidentally left her outside one night... her whole tank was frozen over with her underneath the ice when I cam out in the morning! [​IMG] BUT I dug her out and warmed her up and she was fine [​IMG]

2 years later we were in Idaho... and upon move in day we left her for the night in the garage (mom wanted to find a "spot" for her first)... and the temps barely got down in the 50's... but I came out in the morning to move her to her spot... and she had passed on [​IMG] Bye Shelly! [​IMG]

Anyway... my point is somethig like.... He should be fine. But you might want a water heater so you don't have to worry anymore. We got some for our smaller fish tanks that heat the water up to 72 and were only about $10. Though they are for smaller tanks, in a larger one it would at least keep the water Warmer than it is [​IMG]

6. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Quote:We did the water heater thing, but apparently unless the water temp isn't at least 80, he begins to get very slow and lethargic and quits eating. All signs of impending hibernation. So I have been using the hot water bottles to keep the temp up. I am thinking of putting a bigger heat lamp over his pen.

7. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    So glass TBG was looking out for you! I once had a quart jar full of fresh boiling veggie soup explode on me. TBG was definitely watching out for me. I had only one cut on my leg, from falling down,not from the impact surprisingly,and corn and such in my ear that hurt like heck. My face has no scars now,and only one on my hand,and it's quite small. Boiling water is no joke! So glad you are okay.

8. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Just as an aside TBG refer to my guy. My grand daughter started calling him that for some reason and it has stuck. I guess that's better than me calling him Sunshine (read sarcasm) for the last 4 years. But yes HE was watching out for me today and I am thankful. Which reminds me I need to do my homework for my bible study on Wed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by